Black Screen On Start Up

Closed
Black Screen On Start Up - Sep 12, 2010 at 03:45 PM
extremeintlgroup Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 19, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2010 - Oct 19, 2010 at 02:39 PM
Hello,

When i start my laptop it shows the Dell boot load up bar then my screen gos completely black then dark grey. I don't believe its a hardware problem related to the screen because i ran a diagnostics test and my graphics card runs fine (it shows all the color and their movements across the screen). Though the battery, power, and other icons on the monitor not the screen that would normally be lit up aren't. The laptop also instantly turn off when the power button is pressed, instead of the delayed shutdown. Please if anyone can, tell me how to fix it. I cant use my laptop at all. If possible i would like to keep my memory, i would transfer it through USB or Flash but i cant reach the "dashboard" screen.

Ive received 2 errors on diagnostics check:
Failed: Short Test Start Up
Failed: Memory Test (only got this error ounce and never on my second or third diagnostics test)
Related:

4 responses

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Sep 12, 2010 at 05:47 PM
Hello,

Try this 1.

1) Place the "Windows xp" CD in the drive and make sure your first boot device

is set to CD\DVD drive to boot from it.

2) When prompted to "Press any key to boot from the CD", press any key.

3) When welcome screen appears, press "R" key to go to recovery console.

4) When it asks "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto", press 1

key and then press "Enter".

5) Enter your administrator password.

6) Now C:\Windows> prompt appears. Now enter this command.

fixmbr -----> Press Enter.

When it asks you "Are you sure you want to write a new MBR?" press y and then

press "Enter"

7) Now enter this command.

bootcfg /rebuid and press "Enter".

Windows installation scan will be performed.

When it asks you "Add installation to boot list" press y and then press "Enter"

Then enter the following.

For "Enter Load Identifier"prompt ---> type Windows XP Professional and press

Enter.

For "Enter OS Load Options" prompt ---> type /fastdetect and press Enter.

Note : Don't forget "/" before fastdetect.

Then type exist to reboot your computer.

Note : Remove the Windows xp CD from the drive after the reboot or this time

don't press any key.

Good Luck.
extremeintlgroup Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 19, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2010
Oct 19, 2010 at 01:22 PM
I have the same situation with my gateway laptop.....extremely frustrated; did you fix it with the answer that jack4all sent you????
Would like to know.....thanks!!!!
:)
Blocked Profile
Oct 19, 2010 at 01:33 PM
Hey there, please get through the instructions provided and if the problem does not get solved, please indicate for further help.
extremeintlgroup Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday October 19, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2010
Oct 19, 2010 at 02:39 PM
will try....and will let u know....thanks.