Have a wireles network but main comp cant

Closed
Raif - Dec 19, 2008 at 04:19 PM
 it4sb - Dec 19, 2008 at 06:19 PM
Hello,
so here is my problem
i have a dlink \wbr2310 wireless router it is hooked up to my desktop computer and i have two laptops that connect to th network both of them can access the internet but the desktop cannot
i have checked the ip address of all machines and they are all differnt and everything else is ok with the DNS

i have turned off all my firewalls (nortons and windows)on the desktop and it still does not conect to any webpges but i can get on windows live messenger and talk with people
i anyone has any ideas please i would like to get this fixed

laptops are on vista desktop is xp if that makes any difference
Related:

1 response

XP should not matter. Bring up a command prompt on a working laptop and the non working desktop. Type 'ipconfig /all' and compare the mask, gateway and dns information. It should all match for a working configuration. Make sure the interfaces you are looking at for each machine are the ones going to the wireless router (You will see configs for every interface on each machine) If you don't see a problem here, try to do a dns lookup on the desktop to ensure it can find an address. Type 'nslookup www.micorsoft.com' . You should get the address of the dns server responding to your request (and probably an minor error about not finding the name for the dns server) and the address for one or more of microsofts webservers. If you don't then dns is not configured correctly. Post your configuration if you need more help (what interface is going to what machine, what is your internet access method, how is your router attached to the internet and each machine, etc)