Boot error

Closed
Bigrocksfirst Posts 3 Registration date Thursday December 9, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2010 - Dec 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM
Bigrocksfirst Posts 3 Registration date Thursday December 9, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2010 - Dec 9, 2010 at 03:40 PM
Hello,
Please help me, I have an HP Pavilion 9700 with Vista OS which recently would not start windows consistently. I copied the complete hard drive to external backup drive. My hard drive has a recovery partition to restore the computer to its original state. I tried to use the restore partition, but it did not work. I tried to do a windows repair using a retail Vista Disk and this would not work. I used the diagnostics in the Bios and it says replace Hard drive. At start up, the information screen before windows starts shows the hard drive info etc and then goes to error screen. I searched and found a fix to repair the MBR and now I get this error every time. Is my Hard drive finished or is there something else I can try to fix this problem?

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next"
3. Click "repair your computer"
If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Dec 9, 2010 at 03:06 PM
My best guess is that you need a new hard drive.

Good Luck
Bigrocksfirst Posts 3 Registration date Thursday December 9, 2010 Status Member Last seen December 9, 2010
Dec 9, 2010 at 03:40 PM
Thanks, I guess that is what I thought all along, but never hurts to get another opinion.