Restore to factory settings

Closed
Suckatcomputers - Jan 6, 2011 at 11:32 AM
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 - Apr 13, 2011 at 05:51 AM
Hello,

My laptop just started freezing all the time and i wasn't able to restore to the last date so i did a factory restore with my recovery disks, that seemed to work fine but then when it was re-installing the software it would freeze at 55%.

After reading some forums i tried accessing the recovery tools from the hidden drive instead of the dvd's by pressing Alt F12, this worked fine until it froze at the point where the message says:

Recovery Tools are being launched. Please wait.

The little orange light that is usually solid while the computer is 'thinking' is blinking. Of course when one buys a vaio we don't get the vista software so i can't load it myself as the initial factory restore worked.

Is there anything I can do??

Thanks.

6 responses

vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jan 6, 2011 at 01:43 PM
hi, have you tried completely formatting the hard drive?
Suckatcomputers
Jan 6, 2011 at 02:55 PM
Hi, thank you for your response. I have not done the reformat as I thought that is what the restoring of the factory settings did.

I know it's a horribly silly question, but how do get to the DOS prompt in order to do that?
vista.ultimate.64 Posts 211 Registration date Sunday October 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen October 18, 2013 38
Jan 8, 2011 at 01:48 AM
restoring will move EVERYTHING on your hard drive to a folder called WINDOWS.OLD on the C:\ directory. Formatting will delete EVERYTHING off the hard drive completely, removing with it any viruses or data causing the problem, as well as all your stuff. Can you back up your data? The recovery should work after a format. There are other ways to back up your data if you need to.

to DOS prompt? I don't think you can, unless you're in windows, then Start > Run > cmd.exe

hope i helped, good luck.
sucksatcomputers
Jan 8, 2011 at 08:23 AM
Hello again,

You did indeed help me understand what the difference between the factory restore and formatting my hard drive which is great.

I may rethink using my laptop as a frisbee.

But i have one more pesky question for you. If windows won't boot how do i format the c: drive?

Thanks for your help and patience.
Jan 8, 2011 at 08:42 AM
hi

no problem =) haha, alright to format C, put the recovery CD in, and i very well may be mistaken on the number, but i think 2 screens after you select your language, you choose which partition on the hard drive you want to install the OS on. select the one you want, and at the bottom, click format. you may need to go to advanced options if you wish to do that.

How long did you leave it at 55% before concluding it freezes? Because maybe if you give it good time, it will work.

No problem at all, glad to be of assistance. Good luck
suckatcomputers
Jan 8, 2011 at 04:53 PM
Problem with that is now whether i use the f12 or the recovery disks it freezes at the 'retrieving tools page'. So i'm stuck before i can get anywhere.

i had planned on upgrading to Windows 7. Perhaps i can just go ahead with that and it will bring me to a point where i can format the c; ?

i left it at 55% for over 30 mins, the laptop was completely silent, not making those 'working on it' noises.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Blocked Profile
Feb 8, 2011 at 04:25 AM
You should run the restore with the disks a few times.. they have the tendency to freeze..
Apr 13, 2011 at 05:51 AM
sorry for the late reply.

In that case, i suggest trying to put windows 7 on. Any luck with it yet?