Files deleted, can't restore???

Closed
TessaRhea Posts 1 Registration date Monday January 5, 2009 Status Member Last seen January 5, 2009 - Jan 5, 2009 at 06:19 PM
 kilo - Jan 26, 2009 at 04:15 PM
Hello all!!!

So this morning when I woke up my computer was all kinds of messed up. It was on the "Windows did not start properly screen" and no matter what I tried windows would not start, it just kept going back to that screen. So I started it up in Safe Mode and tried to run a System Restore, again it took me back to the "Windows did not start blah blah blah..." screen. So I hit F10 and ran a regular system restore.

So when I started it back up I had all my regular programs like Ventrilo, AIM, Winamp etc. , all of those were still on my Desktop but all my Folders containing my pictures (.jpeg's) and my Music (mp3's) were missing, however when I ran a basic search I was able to pull up some pictures and a game (Shaiya), all those files were in good shape and ran perfectly.

However I cannot find everything else. The main files I tried to find were labeled "Music" and "Random" <---- creative huh?

I tried looking in my Documents and Settings under the relabled user names (I believe thats where I found them last time I ran a system restore) and I even tried looking in regedit and I couldn't find them anywhere.

I know they are somewhere on my computer seeing as I was able to pulll up some stuff, but I have ran out of ideas as to where to look.

Annnnd btw I do not have a slave drive so any options using that won't work for me and I reallllly don't want to drop $30+ to pay for my files.

Can anyone help? I'm desperate and I'm missing my life lol.

-Tessa
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jan 5, 2009 at 07:25 PM
If you did a system restore it reformated the drive and wrote the Windows files over the top of your existing files. Some of the Windows files may have been written OVER the data files you want to recover (you have NO ability to recover these). If you are lucky some of your data files were recorded on areas of the hard disk not reused by the "restore".
i deleted a file by mistake today. it has homevideos of my kids. imstuk in iraq n iwant em bak is there anyway i can retrieve them from my computer....... n there not in the recycling bin
plz advise
sgt kilo