Mouse and keyboard dont work windows 7

Closed
Ducky - Mar 19, 2011 at 04:26 PM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Mar 20, 2011 at 04:15 PM
Hello,

Recently my iPod touch died, and when i went to the apple website it told me that one way to fix the problem i was having was to install a new version of iTunes. When it installed iTunes it asked me to restart my computer to which i agreed. Once the computer restarted, the mouse and keyboard would not function. I've switched between three different sets of equipment, both wired and wireless, and even the old wired jack plug ones (non usb). I have the use of the keyboard when the boot menu comes up, meaning the first menu which you use Delete to enter, and use arrow keys to navigate. Because the computer wont function in safe mode, or regular mode, i can't find a way to fix it. Also I'd rather not restore it because the information on it is kind of important. Currently on my old computer, pelase help as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Related:

7 responses

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Mar 19, 2011 at 04:41 PM
Dear Ducky,

My guess is that you download and installed the wrong ITunes incompatible with your OS.

If your function key responds you can arrow key to the control panel and delete ITunes totally. You may also need to delete remnant from your registry.
Thanks for your responce, but

I have a password set to my computer, so I can't access it dirrectly. The computer loads to the login screen containing my account and guest account. Once windows boots up, I lose control of my keyboard completely so I cant do anything from that point on. The version of iTunes had to have been correct because the first time i tried to download and install the 32bit version, and it told me that the version wont work due to it not being compatable.

Anyway, ive been searchign for people with similar problems, and most of them end up reinstalling the operationg system, and I really don't like that idea. Just trying to find some other ways to fix this problem, if possible.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,170
Mar 19, 2011 at 05:02 PM
Dear Ducky,

This a sticky wicket and I understand why you do not wish to reformat.

Are you patient? I will refer your case to our to notch wizard and moderator in the matter, his user name is jack4rall. He should be online in 11 hours (time zone obliges as he does need his beauty sleep)

He is 79 but boy can he ever jive!

I am refering your case now. Good luck!

P.S. You have mentioned as your configuration that you have WinXP, but the title says Win7. You have 32 bit or 64 bit ? Confirm here before Jack reads this thread.
Sorry, yeah when i went to reply to a post, it preset what i used.

I do have a Windows 7, 64-Bit
Mar 19, 2011 at 05:09 PM
Thanks

I have sent a private message to jack4rall and he will reply to you, he never fails.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Update:

I was trying to do some things with my computer via bios, but i couldnt manage anything. Mostly because I have zero knowledge on how to work with it. However I did try to boot start the hard drive, via one of the options that comes up with bios and it placed me to a screen which is just like my log in screen but then booted up cmd and a system restore window. At this screen i could use my mouse and keyboard so I know it works, and that its not the USB ports.
The cmd window then disapeared before i could enter anything in it, so im not sure if I could use it at all. This brings me (but I dont know much so if you have other ideas, do share) to believe that somehow the USB ports got mixed up, or something of that sort in the operating system. I really don't care too much of the time it takes to fix this...

However if there is a way, which i can use to get the important files of the computer without the use of mouse/keyboard, or without booting up the OS please let me know. Maybe then i can refrag it and put the files back on.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Mar 20, 2011 at 11:16 AM
Hello,
First thanks to "Ambucias".
Try this 1
When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the F8 key)
Select "Safe Mode"
If you are having problem in the safe mode also then follow the step 1 once again and now
select the option "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
Let me know if you are able to use your keyboard. Also let me know if you have your OS DVD.
Good Luck
I've tried both of those options and my mouse and keyboard stop functioning in both.

There have been only two times when i was able to get my mouse and keyboard to function, and that was when I started the boot menu and chose to boot the hard drive, which brought me to a screen asking me to system restore. I was able to use both my mouse and keyboard there, but after system restore nothing changed.

I do not have my OS DVD because I sadly didn't make a backup DVD, and I'm not sure why, but my Gateway didn't come with a windows 7 boot DVD/CD.

I went on a few different sites and tried to download the Windows 7 64-Bit Repear Disk, however I'm not sure if its legit at all, and if I burned it properly. However after burning it twice, on a CD and a DVD i had no results.
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Mar 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM
Hello,
Try this 1
Place that recovery DVD --> Go to BIOS and set the first boot device as CD\DVD drive --> Save
the settings and exit from BIOS. Now check if you are able to boot from it. Let me know about it.
Good Luck
My god. I've replied about four, five times now and it keeps deleting my posts.

This didn't work. Sorry.
Im not sure why, but I dont think it recognises the Cd/DVD i made, and I've tried both CD and DVD.

Im not sure how legit the copy of this windoes 7 64-bit boot CD is, here is where I got it from:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

Anyway, what happened after i saved and closed out of the BIOS was it began starting windows normally...
My god. I've replied about four, five times now and it keeps deleting my posts.

This didn't work. Sorry.
Im not sure why, but I dont think it recognises the Cd/DVD i made, and I've tried both CD and DVD.

Im not sure how legit the copy of this windoes 7 64-bit boot CD is, here is where I got it from:
(I think this link is eating my posts =_=)

Anyway, what happened after i saved and closed out of the BIOS was it began starting windows normally...
Mar 20, 2011 at 12:17 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
Try burning it once again by following the below instructions.
Click on the below link hyperlink "Download" and download the ISO burner
Download
Place an empty CD in the drive.
Double-click on the "FreeISOBurner". When "FreeISOBurner" window appears -->
Click on "Open" button --> Select the downloaded recovery ISO file.
Set "Burn Speed" to 8x or to the available lowest speed from the drop-down menu --> Click on "Burn" button.
After completion, Set your first boot device as CD\DVD drive --> Place the burned disk in the CD\DVD drive --> Save the BIOS settings and exist from BIOS. Now you should be able to boot from the CD.
Good Luck
Alright, so i just tried that, and the first time i did it, i went through the boot menu, and chose CD rom and it waited about a minute, and asked me to press any key to begin installation from CD. I did so but nothing happened. Then i restarted my computer again and tried with just the regular BIOS having CD rom set to first, and it just sat there on a black screen with an underscore flashing for about 5 minutes. Nothing happned.

Also, when the ISO is writing, is it supposed to say "Starting to write ISO Immage..." ?
Mar 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Hello,
When you try to burn the file, a message will appears as "Initialize Starting to write ISO Image" in that particular application. The file that you have downloaded is ISO file.

What happens when you have pressed any key during the prompt " Press any key to boot from CD\DVD..." Did the setup screen or window appeared ?
Good Luck
No nothing appeared. it remained black and the messege continued to appear. They keyboard was responding though, i think, because i was able to toggle between num.lock and caps lock keys.
Mar 20, 2011 at 01:13 PM
Hello,
Try this 1
When the prompt appears "Press any to boot from CD\DVD ", just press any key --> wait for few minutes and check if the next window appears or not.
Good Luck