WRT-54G Router Won't Accept HP Printer Key

Closed
bobk - Oct 4, 2011 at 02:17 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Oct 5, 2011 at 01:20 PM
Hello,

I just bought two HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printers, with wireless capability. I have tried to get both printers onto my home wireless network, which is using a Linksys WRT-54G router in WEP encryption mode. I have number of access users allowed set to 10, and a total of 5 other computers have been able to connect to this network using the network key just fine.

I have tried the HP installation disc for wireless installation, which includes temporary USB connection to pick up the network data. I have also tried ethernet cable from printer to router to generate an ip address (successful).

However, every time (this is about 9 install attempts on 3 different home computers) the install software asks to enter the network key, I enter it and it is rejected. I have checked the 26 characters 10 times, and they are the same as the key that has entered for every PC in the house that has successfully got on the network.

I keep getting "your key/password does not exactly match the network key" or similar. I am stumped.

I went with WEP due to the direction of our work IT people, and am leery of trying to switch it all to WPA or WPA2 and trying that.

What may I be missing in the settings that is stopping this acceptance? The router is NOT set for MAC address use, which was the only thing the HP printer network report suggested may have been an obstacle. I appreciate any help that may be suggested. Thanks!

Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,827
Oct 5, 2011 at 01:20 PM
Your IP people have it backwards. WAP and WAP2 are much more secure.

See this web parge:

https://openxtra.org/article/wpa-vs-wep