Cracked my HP laptop screen, using an extrna

Closed
Annahelp Posts 2 Registration date Monday November 14, 2011 Status Member Last seen November 15, 2011 - Nov 14, 2011 at 09:19 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Nov 15, 2011 at 03:21 PM
Hello,

I cracked my HP laptop screen last month *sigh*, and am using an external screen. I saw some similar threads up here, but so far nothing with my specific issue.

What I wish I could do, ideally, is remove my cracked screen entirely from the laptop bottom (using the ex-lap top as a stationery and a keyboard, while having my computer start-up on the the external screen).

Could this be done?

the problems i have currently are:

1. i turn on the laptop, and close (fold down) the screen instantly - this sends the image to the external monitor, however, if i open (unfold up) the screen - the image goes back to the cracked screen and will NOT go back on the external screen.
how can i make the computer use the external screen only, as if the screen attached to the laptop doesn't exist at all?

2. I want to remove the "dead" screen (so i can use the part left as my keyboard), could this be done, and if so, is there a step-by-step guide on how to do this somewhere (I've only being finding "replace screen" guides, none about elimination of the screen all together). I've also read the antenna for the wi-fi adapter might be in the screen?

I truly thank you for your time
-Anna

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Nov 14, 2011 at 04:51 PM
You might be able to change the screen options. Go to Control Panel and look for the Intel Display icon. (I assume you have an Intel CPU/motherboard - If it's an AMD CPU it will use another display adapter chip). It should be possible to change the Primary screen to the external monitor.

Yes the wifi antenna is probably in the lid above and/or behind the screen.

Good Luck
Annahelp Posts 2 Registration date Monday November 14, 2011 Status Member Last seen November 15, 2011
Nov 15, 2011 at 08:44 AM
thank you for your help, i'll try changing the setting according to your explanation.

are you advising me to use an external keyboard so that i don't have to remove the screen?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Nov 15, 2011 at 03:21 PM
that might be a way around the problem.