Disc Read Error Occurred?

Closed
BobOram - Feb 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM
 BobOram - Feb 6, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Hello,

I have seen multiple questions on this site for this problem but none that apply to my particular situation.

I have a two year old HP desktop that came with Windows 7 installed on it. I recently purchased a DELL OEM version of Windows XP with service pack 2 to install on the HP computer. To make sure it worked, I first installed it on my old Toshiba laptop from 2006. It came with XP on it but I had recently upgraded it to Windows 7. The installation of Windows XP on the Toshiba laptop went smoothly. When I went to install Win 7 on the HP desktop, it copied the files and my computer went to go reboot to continue the setup. When the computer restarted, a black screen came up with "press any key to begin setup boot..." or something like that (as if to start the installation process?) but then 3 seconds later a message right under it that read "disc read error, press crtl, atl, delete to restart"

No matter how many times I try to go through the setup, it keeps repeating this. At first I didn't delete the partition to reformat it but after I did that, still no resolution. I can't understand what the issue it. I see people talking about changing BIOS but I can't figure out what people are talking about by changing the settings. Why did the installation go so smooth on a really old computer?

I would really appreciate someone's help with this. I can't imagine I need to purchase anything additional to make this work. There has to be some setting I need to change or some step I am missing. Please advise.

Thank you,

Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 6, 2012 at 05:55 PM
Your "really old computer" had hardware that Windows XP knows how to use - your desktop has hardware that XP doesn't understand.
You have two (maybe 3) options:

1. change the BIOS to use a IDE type interface - this works with some motherboards (probably HP doesn't give you this option on all models)
Look for "SATA native support" and set it to "disabled"

2. change the Windows XP install disk to include the required drivers
Google "slipstream" to find instructions

3. Some people report that Windows XP SP3 has the required drivers and will install on many newer PC's

Why do you want to remove Windows 7?
xpcman - thanks for your response. Option 1 may help so I will try that and let you know how it goes.

I wanted to get away from Windows 7 because I have a terrible latency issue when recording audio that I didn't have with Windows XP. Plus I have a mic pre-amp and version of ProTools that were only compatiable with XP & SP2.