Laptop BIOS issue

Closed
Skeptic - Apr 16, 2012 at 05:25 PM
 Skeptic - Apr 17, 2012 at 08:51 AM
Hello,

My laptop has been dealing with a lot of issues lately. It started off on Patch Tuesday, when the laptop shutdown in the middle of the BIOS update. I tried to turn it back on, but to no avail. I searched up a fix, and the fix where you turn off your laptop, take out the battery and charger, and hold down the button for a minute worked...that day. I tried it again on Wednesday, and it worked while holding for 40 seconds longer. The pattern continued up until last night, Sunday, when it shutdown when I tried to revert the laptop to a older version of BIOS. It shutdown, did nothing. I left it like that for the night. I woke up, and nothing happened. This is really annoying me considering I wasted most of my spring break trying to repair it.
It's a Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5093.
The BIOS version when it shutdown was 1.60
The BIOS manafacturer was Insyde
Other than that, I do not know how to repair it. I would love some help now on how to repair it without sending it to a shop or spending money. Thank you in advance and for your time trying to help me deal with this issue!
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Apr 16, 2012 at 06:39 PM
Generally when a BIOS update fails you need to physically replace the BIOS chip with a correctly programmed chip. It's also possible to remove the chip and reprogram it if you have a PROM programmer handy. For this reason BIOS updates should only applied to fix a known issue with the computer. Probably the only way to fix your laptop is to unsolder the chip and replace it. It would probably be easier to find a used motherboard than to to source a new BIOS chip.

Good Luck
Well, I don't know anywhere around my area that specializes in any type of computing, and is reliable. I was thinking of sending it to Toshiba, but I heard it will drive me out of my pocket by making me spend double the price of the laptop, and it will take over a month. I still thank you for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it.