Blue screen appears and system restarts

Closed
Curt - Jun 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM
jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020 - Jun 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Hello,

I have a HP Workstations Z400 PC with Windows XP Professional. Recently we were using the PC and it froze. We rebooted it and as soon as the Windows XP flash screen appears a blue screen appears (flashes) very quickly and the computer reboots. The PC would beep 6 times times, pause, beeps 6 times, etc. I found out that this was a Video Card issue from a HP forum website. After replacing the video card the computer no longer beeps, however the blue screen keeps appearing and restarts over and over.

I have tried Safe Mode, Last Know Good Configuration and none of these work

I have tried the Windows XP CD and entered recovery console. CHKDISK, FIXBOOT, neither woked.

I tried removing RAM, did not work

I installed a new hard drive on the PC and re-loaded windows XP and it works just fine ! So I don't think my MB is an issue, nor the RAM or other hardware components.

However I want to still fix the old hard drive because I have all of my work information on it.
If I connect my old hard drive as a 2nd hard drive, I am able to see it when the computer boots up the new hard drive. So yes I can copy all of my data. But again I sure would like to fix it becasue all my programs and software that I've set up is still on the old hard drive.

My guess is that there is a corrupted video driver on the old hard drive but since it will not boot up with the old hard drive, I don't know how to clean it up. I have the ability to see all the contents on the old hard drive though. Any ideas ? Thanks !!!!!!!

Related:

1 response

jack4rall Posts 6428 Registration date Sunday June 6, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen July 16, 2020
Jun 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Hello,

Try this 1

When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows

Advanced Options"( if boot menu appears, press "Esc" key and keep tapping the

F8 key)

Select the option "Enable VGA Mode".

Good Luck