Comparing Channel List

Closed
C_Gaf Posts 2 Registration date Sunday September 16, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2012 - Sep 16, 2012 at 07:58 PM
C_Gaf Posts 2 Registration date Sunday September 16, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2012 - Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Hello,

I have a full channel list for my area with channel names and channel #s, and than I have a channel list of what I receive in my package with channel names but no channel #s.

I would like to somehow compare the two in a way that my finished product is my package channels with the designated channel #s beside them.

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$C$1:$C$248,0)),"",A1)

I tried this formula to compare the two lists but some of the channel names differ between the lists for some reason so it skips over a few. They are the same channels but the two lists list them differently (ex. American Movie Classics & American Movie Classics (AMC))

Is there an easy way to figure this out or at least some sort of formula that will help me narrow my list down. My package list has 248 channels and the main list has over 800...I'd rather not go through one by one and delete.

Thank you if you can help

2 responses

Mehedad Posts 22 Registration date Thursday April 19, 2012 Status Member Last seen April 16, 2013 3
Sep 17, 2012 at 04:23 AM
There are several solutions for that: You can apply the 'Vlookup' formula
=VLOOKUP(A2,C:C,2,TRUE)
[Use "FALSE" instead of "TRUE" for exact matches to be found]

This will give you the channel numbers in the adjacent column if the names are almost the same.

Also, in the Match Function, you are using "" (zero) which is done for an exact match. Try changing it to "1" instead of "0".

There is another solution if the list has same number of entries. But either of the above two should work.
C_Gaf Posts 2 Registration date Sunday September 16, 2012 Status Member Last seen September 17, 2012
Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Thanks, Adding the "1" did the trick...I still have to sort few a bunch but it got rid of a good 6-700