Ie is not working at all!

Closed
camcop Posts 4 Registration date Friday October 12, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 12, 2012 - Oct 12, 2012 at 07:26 AM
 camcop - Oct 18, 2012 at 04:59 PM
Hello,

Out of no where my Internet Explorer stopped working. I have tried probably all of the solutions that I could find online and nothing has helped me. This problem will not allow me to access the internet from that computer in oreder to try and fix it either.

Malwarebytes is on that computer but it will not allow access to update the program. I even tried to use a flashdrive and put the win fix in the computer but it doesn't allow the flashdrive to completely open.

Connection to the internet is great but again the first problem is actually getting Explorer to come up.

The best way I can describe it is when I click INternet Explorer it suddently pops up as if it's going to open (you actually see a white box) then immediately it goes away and you are right back on the desktop.

Is there anyone that can help me with this problem?

8 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 12, 2012 at 07:58 AM
Hi camcop,

As you have mentioned you have tried most of the troubleshooting available on the internet, just to add to it, I would recommend uninstalling/installing the Internet Explorer once and check. You can follow the link below to find steps on how to uninstall/install the Internet Explorer:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/internet-explorer-help-23360e49-9cd3-4dda-ba52-705336cc0de2?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Please reply if you have any further questions.

camcop Posts 4 Registration date Friday October 12, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 12, 2012
Oct 12, 2012 at 08:39 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I did the uninstall as the steps said but now I have nothing showing on my desktop at all. I don't know if this is supposed to take a long time to come back up but I'm getting a little scared. This Laptop is a Dell Inspirion 6400. Is there anymore advice or steps I should take at this point? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Oct 12, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Hi camcop,

Do not worry, I will suggest a few more steps here, try them, it should fix the issue.

1. Power on/Restart the computer.
2. When the Dell Logo appears on the screen, start tapping the F8 key in the top row of the keyboard.
3. This will take you to the Advanced Boot Menu;
4. Select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) from the list and hit Enter.
5. It should restore your computer to the last good state it was working in. If you do not get to the desktop then repeat the steps 1 and 2 and select Safe Mode this time.
6. Try doing a System Restore using the steps in the below mentioned link for your respective Operating System:

Windows XP - https://support.microsoft.com/instantanswers/62ed802d-7c8d-35d9-9b82-6cace4b08185

Windows Vista/Windows 7 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows?ui=en-US&rs=en-001&ad=US

Do reply with results.
camcop Posts 4 Registration date Friday October 12, 2012 Status Member Last seen October 12, 2012
Oct 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Ok, so I have followed every step to the letter and hee is where I have ended up. I hd to put the computer in safe mode as directions instruced, at this point I followed it all the way to where you select the sysem restore options and then....nothing. The computer actually acts as if I never selected anything.

Any more advice?

Thanks again for everything you have done so far.
Oct 12, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Nothing happens and it returns to the desktop. By the way, I can only see the actual desktop icons while in safe mode. When I try to boot normally I can only see the wallpaper.

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Oct 15, 2012 at 06:50 AM
Hi camcop,

You have mentioned that you have used Malwarebytes on this machine. It seems some virus is causing the problems with the machine. I recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials. Try downloading and installing it from the below mentioned link:

https://ccm.net/download/s/microsoft%20security%20essentials

Use Safe Mode with Networking to download this software. Once the download completes install it and allow the software to scan your machine thoroughly in the Safe Mode.

Do reply with results.

Im not sure what to do at this time. I have done every scan that I know of and itnever found anything. I have uninstalled Explorer and reinstalled it again, the problem stil persists. When I click on Explorer it pops up then immediately goes away. Do you have any more advice to help me with this issue? I really needthis handled as quickly as possible. Thanks for everything.
Oct 18, 2012 at 05:20 AM
Hi camcop,

Now that you have tried all the suggested troubleshooting and the issue is still not fixed, it seems the issue is with the Operating System itself. I suggest doing a Dell PC Restore and the issue should be fixed.

You can check the link below; it has detailed instructions on how to do a PC Restore. Using Dell PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any application programs or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins6400/en/om/trouble.htm#wp1064105

Do reply if you have any further queries.

I would like to thankyou for all of your help. I was finally able to get the computer running again after all this time. Somehow I foloowed the link you provided me and read the instructions to do a restore to earlier time. I was not able to do this before. Since it allowed me to do that the computer seems to be working flawlessly at this time. You have been a great help and have become my new best friend. Thank you again for all that you do.