Cannot open files on my external hd

Closed
swampcreek Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday February 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2013 - Feb 13, 2013 at 09:03 AM
 blayne - Nov 27, 2013 at 08:42 PM
Hello,
So here is what is happening. My new dell laptop crashed, I think the partitions were deleted from windows 7. So I had some one take the hdd out and put it on a brand new toshiba external. Now I am trying to open the files with windows xp on an older hp pavilion. The HP is older but I wiped everything back to the origional settings.

when I goto open a picture or music file from the xhd it does not allow it to open, the pictures are blank and the music cannot be played. I can't open pdf files either. I cannot open anything, I can see that they are there but cannot access them.

The files on the old computer are quickbooks and stuff like that, I really need to access them for tax purposes. All of my restaurant information is stuck inside there.

Any help appreciated

Related:

3 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Hi swampcreek,

A little clarification will help me find a fix for the problem. You have mentioned in your post that you connected the Internal Hard Drive from Dell Laptop externally to the Toshiba Laptop. I would like to know, what type of cable you have used.

For quickbook and other application-specific files you will need the required software package to be installed in your Toshiba laptop. Some of the new picture formats are not supported in Windows XP. Please try opening some existing picture, audio and pdf files on the Toshiba Laptop hard drive and check if they open.

Please do write back to us.
swampcreek Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday February 13, 2013 Status Member Last seen February 13, 2013
Feb 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM
it is a toshiba external hard drive, with an HP laptop

and no I cant open pictures or music from the external hard drive in any computer
think coz it was on a user with password on your late laptop
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Hi swampcreek,

As you mentioned this Hard Drive is an external Hard Drive, please check with the Toshiba Support site if there is a firmware update for this external hard drive. Also, check if you are able to open any other type of files from the hard drive, such as a notepad or try to transfer some files to the Hard Drive and check. In your reply please include the exact Model Number of the Toshiba Hard Drive.

Please do write back to us.