Philips Notebook, Wifi Problems

Closed
Blirt Posts 1 Registration date Sunday March 10, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 10, 2013 - Mar 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Mar 10, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Hello,

I'm not sure where the problem is but I've scouted around first and can't find an obvious solution so I'm asking the question...

I use my neighbours wifi with their pemission.

Intermittantly, the wifi fails on my PC even though my iphone can still connect. Once the wifi drops, it will come back momentarily and drop again, for as long as the next 15mins. During this time the iphone has no problems syncing mail or whatever, so I'm convinced it isn't their router; I thinks its my laptop, which is a philips notebook - 15NB57. This is driving me bananas.

Funnily enough, I was in Australia for several months some years ago, staying in backpackers. We all used the same shared public network, and guess what? I could rarely get a connect even though everybody else seemed ok. The tech repair shop I took it too told me (possibly a very gullible me) that the radio receiver was situated very near the main chip on the motherboard on this model and therefore it got hot, and failed, quite often. He recommended a belkin plug in booster, which I used to good effect for the rest of the time there but 'forgot'.

Has anybody else heard this (possibly ridiculous) story and/or does anybody have any suggestions to fix the problem?

Many Thanks
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,829
Mar 10, 2013 at 02:46 PM
It's not quite ridiculous. It's relatively inexpensive to purchase a USB WIFI adapter as a work-around the problem.

Good Luck