How to know about hardware

Closed
ugn10 Posts 48 Registration date Saturday October 27, 2012 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2014 - Mar 13, 2013 at 08:34 PM
 projection - Aug 16, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Hello friends,

Without installing any third party application, how to know the type of hardware and related details of hardware installed in windows 7?

(It would be similar like Advanced System Information of Help & Support Center of Windows XP).

For example, type of RAM; ddr2 or ddr3 with manufacturer and other details.

Pls suggest me.

Regards
GN Jha

6 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Mar 14, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Hi GN Jha,

There is "msinfo32" command that you can type in the Run dialog box of Windows 7 Operating System. This command fetches you most of the information about your computer hardware. However, this will not provide much detail about the manufacturer of hardware and specifics of Memory in the computer. Information related to Operating System, System Model, Processor, etc. are available with this command. The type of Memory such as DDR2/3 is available in the System BIOS. Motherboard manufacturer can be traced from the BIOS.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.
ugn10 Posts 48 Registration date Saturday October 27, 2012 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2014
Mar 15, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Dear Zohaib,

Thank you for your assistance.

I am aware of "msinfo32" but interested only to know the type of memory such as DDR2/3 available in the System, motherboard manufacturer and other details.

Pls suggest me a way to find these information without using third party.

Thanks
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Mar 15, 2013 at 04:05 PM
Hi GN Jha,

I could not find a GUI tool that can fetch all this information in Windows. However, there is a command line utility "WMIC" which can help you get this information. To get Memory manufacturer and speed click "Start," type "CMD," right-click the link to cmd.exe and select "Run As Administrator" and enter the command:

wmic memorychip get Manufacturer,speed

Similarly, to get Motherboard Manufacturer information enter the command:

wmic baseboard get product,Manufacturer

The list of aliases followed by "WMIC" command is huge, please check the below mentioned link for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/

Do reply with results.
ugn10 Posts 48 Registration date Saturday October 27, 2012 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2014
Mar 22, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Hi Zohaib

Thank you for giving new information.

The mentioned linked is more informative but dear I didn't find following information
Type of RAM like DDR2 or DDR3
Vendor of RAM
Similarly no information for other hardware.

Pls snuggest me the proper way.

Regards
GN Jha

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
Mar 22, 2013 at 09:16 PM
Hi GN Jha,

This is much of computer programming related stuff but I will try to explain to you. Try this command:

wmic MemoryChip get BankLabel, Devicelocator, FormFactor, Capacity

This command will list in order the Slots to which memory modules are attached, the form factor such as DIMM, RIMM, etc. and the size of the memory module.
I couldn't get a way to find the manufacturer details and type, as these commands mostly are in coded forms and numbers. For example to know the form factor you should refer to the below table:

Value Meaning

0 Unknown
1 Other
2 SIP
3 DIP
4 ZIP
5 SOJ
6 Proprietary
7 SIMM
8 DIMM
9 TSOP
10 PGA
11 RIMM
12 SODIMM
13 SRIMM
14 SMD
15 SSMP
16 QFP
17 TQFP
18 SOIC
19 LCC
20 PLCC
21 BGA
22 FPBGA
23 LGA

If I find answers for your question I will surely update them here.
<a href="http://projectionscreens.in"/>Projection screen manufacturer</a>

this site is very useful yeeh its grt site .....