Hardware acceleration refers to when a software uses support from computer hardware in order to speed up processes, namely those that are repetitive in nature. Google Chrome does this. However, you may disable it at any time.
How to turn off hardware acceleration Chrome?
Open Google Chrome, and click Customize and Control Google Chrome > Settings > Show advanced settings. In the System section, uncheck the box next to Use hardware acceleration when available, and restart Google Chrome:
N.B. Upon disabling hardware acceleration in Windows 8/8.1, you won't be able to use Google Chrome in Modern UI mode.
There is a shortcut to quickly check if hardware acceleration is enable in Chrome by entering chrome://gpu in the search bar.
How to disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome with the Windows Registry?
There is a secondary method for disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome through the Windows Registry:
- Go to the registry, (Windows + R) to bring up the run window.
- Type regedit in the box and then hit enter.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE —-SOFTWARE —-Policies —- Google —-Chrome and then right click on Chrome.
- Then choose "new" - "DWORD 32-bit value"
- Leave the name as "HardwareAccelerationModeEnabled"
- Then set the data value to "0" to turn It off. To turn it on, use "1" instead.
- Once you've finished, restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Need more help with Google? Check out our Forum!
- Chrome disable hardware acceleration
- How to disable hardware acceleration in chrome
- How to turn off hardware acceleration chrome
- Disable hardware acceleration outlook > Guide
- Hardware Graphic Accelerator > Forum - Video Games
- Disable guest browsing chrome > Guide
- How to disable images on chrome android > Guide
- How to disable images in Chrome: Android, iPhone, extension > Guide
- Enable WebGL Chrome: 2021, Mac, Android
- How to allow multiple downloads in Chrome
- How to stop Chrome from searching in address bar 2021
- How to sort bookmarks in Chrome: alphabetically, by date
- Where are Chrome extensions stored: Mac, Windows 10, Linux
- How to change the character in the dinosaur Chrome game?
- How to recover Google account password: without phone number
- How to view recently visited websites on Chrome
- How to see incognito history: Android, Mac, Windows
- How to search for a word on a web page Chrome: shortcut, Mac
- How to close all tabs in Google Chrome on Android
- How to block camera and microphone access on Chrome
- How to clear auto-opening settings on Chrome: 2021
- What does the lock symbol mean on Google Chrome?
- How to change Chrome icon on desktop
- How to play audio files directly in Chrome
- How to export bookmarks from Chrome: Edge, Safari, Firefox
- Enable the FPS counter on Google Chrome
- How to access Google USA: from other countries
- How to open Chrome Settings: shortcut, in a new window
- How to set zoom settings in Google Chrome
- How to clear cookies on Chrome: automatically, Android, Mac
- Disable touch events: Chrome
- How to find saved passwords in Chrome: Mac, Android, PC
- How to change new tab page Chrome: Android, extension, Mac
- How to install extension in Chrome: Android, manually
- How to check Google Chrome: version history, for updates
- Speed up Chrome browser: Windows 10, PC, on Android
- How to remove a Google account from Chrome browser
- Create desktop shortcut on Google Chrome
- How to enable Google Chrome power saving mode
- How to access the Google Dashboard G Suite?
- Restore Google toolbar: in Windows 10, on Android tablet
- How to send link via email with Google Chrome extension
- How to enter full screen mode Chrome: Windows 10, Mac
- How to auto refresh Chrome tab with an extension
- How to make your Google Chrome page background a GIF?
- How to fix Google Chrome cursor bug
- How to reset Google Chrome settings: to default, Android
- Update Google Chrome browser Android or iPhone
- How to turn off auto translate in Chrome: Android
- How to stop Chrome from blocking downloads
- The best Chrome extensions of 2022: security, productivity
- Google Translate extension Chrome: Mac, Android
- The best flags to customise Google Chrome in 2022
- How to enable extensions in incognito in Chrome
- How to see downloads in Chrome: Android, iOS
- How to change download location Chrome: Android, Mac
- How to turn off Chrome notifications
- How to reopen closed tabs in Chrome
- Enable private browsing in Google Chrome: in incognito, PC
- How to block ads on Google Chrome?