Help computer is being a pain!!!!

Closed
kailee123 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2009 - Feb 28, 2009 at 10:38 AM
kailee123 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2009 - Feb 28, 2009 at 02:38 PM
Hello,
My sisters computer has died and she wants me to try to fix it. The HD does not work with the cable attached to the motherboard, neither does the dvd rom. If you remove the cable and just leave the power supply attached the HD starts up and the dvd rom opens and will start to go if there is a cd in it. The fans all turn on, and I checked the power supply and that is working fine. I checked the battery it is a full 3v, used the jumper to reset cmos and it did nothing. Switched out the monitor, keyboard, and mouse to no avail. It doesn't appear to be posting since the keyboard does not light, you can hit the F1 etc keys to try to get it into bios or the likes it doesn't do a thing. It doesn't beep when booting up, and I took the memory out and that didn't cause it to beep either. There doesn't appear to be any tiny light on the motherboard, which my computer has. Not sure if this motherboard has a light or not? She said before these problems she was having issues with it. It would come on and then crash. She tried to use system restore, but after it tried to restore it said unable to restore. No matter how far you went back in the days nothing would make it restore to a older date. You couldn't force it into safe mode, if it did get to that point it would crash. I'm kinda at my wits end? Any body have a clue what's wrong? Any help would be appreciated, the computer is only 2 years old so it shouldn't be dead now.

It's an Emachine T3410 (yeah I know junk)
Amd Sempron 3400+
nvidia geforce 6100
running xp
512 mb ddr sdram
Related:
  • Help computer is being a pain!!!!
  • Ibis pain pc - Download - Illustration and animation

2 responses

kailee123 Posts 2 Registration date Friday February 27, 2009 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2009 1
Feb 28, 2009 at 02:38 PM
I know it's not the power supply because the power supply worked on a different computer and I actually had a brand new one that had never been used and it did the same thing.
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 28, 2009 at 02:13 PM
How did you check the power supply? Just because the fans spin does not prove that it is OK. The fan uses +12 volts but the motherboard needs + and - both on 12v and 5v. The hard/CD drives also use 12 and 5 volts. Two years is just about the right time for a eMachines power supply to fail. The failure of XP to do a restore may be a separate software issue. The main problem would appear to be hardware related. I would first try replacing the power supply with the MB as the Last item to replace.
This site has some good info about PC trouble shooting

https://www.techspot.com/?p=667161

Good Luck