Problems with New AS Rock MOBO

Closed
thelastfloydian - Mar 10, 2009 at 12:26 PM
d.hame35 Posts 9 Registration date Tuesday March 10, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2009 - Mar 11, 2009 at 07:24 AM
Hello,

I'm a pretty hardware savvy guy but I've never come across a problem like this. Last week I was building a new Windows system. I assembled everything, connected all of the cables but when I powered it on: nothing happened. The power supply and heat sink fan were blowing and I could hear the new SATA hard drive spinning, but nothing else was happening.

I tried a few troubleshooting things he and there but I couldn't get anywhere. The monitor I connected wasn't showing anything, not even the BIOS native to the MOBO. I troubleshot the monitor on a different machine and it worked perfectly, so I know it's not the cable or the monitor.

Also puzzling to me was the fact that when I powered the machine on, neither of the two DVD drives showed any activity. Obviously I need the drives to install Windows on the blank HDD. In further troubleshooting, I tried several different sets of IDE cables only to receive the same result. As a last resort, I removed the IDE cables to the DVD drives and powered the machine on and all of a sudden they began to whir and show signs of life. So obviously, they're receiving power, it's just that when I connect the IDE they just shut down. Totally bizarre!

So basically I'm thinking it's either a bad IDE controller on the mobo or a bad VGA controller or both. I wasn't able to try the DVI port because I didn't have a DVI cable handy. Nevertheless, I thought it would be a good idea to get a second (or third) opinion on here. I love this site and you guys have never failed to deliver in the past. Please let me know of any ideas you might have.

Thanks!!
Related:

1 response

d.hame35 Posts 9 Registration date Tuesday March 10, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2009 1
Mar 11, 2009 at 07:24 AM
hi,
it may be that the motherboard is faulty.
try to get another one.
since you have recently bought it, you may return the motherboard where you bought it and get it replaced.