Macro for shifting contents of a particular cell

Closed
blah85 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2014 - Oct 8, 2014 at 07:28 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Oct 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
I am trying to create a small macro which helps me copy the contents of a particular sheet (In my case the total of a long list of calculations) as an entry in another workbook as well as a name which will be in another cell

It seems to be somewhat like a database wherein everytime I use the macro, the results will get stored beside the name in a workbook, one below the other.

As I am new to the concept, I am having difficulty how to do the same.

2 responses

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Oct 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Hi Blah,

So you want to create a different workbook for each name?!

The beauty of Excel is that you can store multiple sheets in a single workbook so that all the information is in one place. That way it is easier to find and process your data.

Best regards,
Trowa
blah85 Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 10, 2014
Oct 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM
I think I have been misinterpreted.

Please consider this example.

I am creating a directory of expenses wherein there are 4 fields (Month, Name Expense Details, Expense Amounts)

Month July

Name Expense Detail Expense Amount
John car wash 300$
Jim toilet paper 10$
harry Diner 40$

Total 350$

Now I want one workbook/sheet to have the following fields captured (Month & Total)

Month Total
July 350$
August 265$

The second Worksheet should have the following fields captured (Month, Name, Expense Amount). It would be an aggregation of all previous sheets

Month Name Expense Amount

July John 300$
July Jim 10$
July harry 40$
August John 15$
August harry 20$
Sep Jim 500$

Similarly The third worksheet should have the following fields captured (Month, Expense Details, Expense Amount). It would be an aggregation of all previous sheets.

Its seems fairly simple as a concept but as I'm new to this, its been a little tough to work it out beyond this.
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Oct 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM
OK, that makes more sense.

Could you post your workbook with sample data and result data so I can see where your data is located and where your result needs to go (as well as the number of sheets) ?

Use a file sharing site like www.speedyshare.com or ge.tt and then post back the download link.

I will see what I can do to run the process automatically.

Best regards,
Trowa