This article will explain to you how to fix issues with the Shift key on both Windows and Mac computers.
How to fix Shift key issue by holding Shift and ALT down?
The first simple solution is to hold down both Shift keys and the ALT button at the same time. This is the equivalent of switching back and forth between European and American keyboard. If this doesn’t work for you, then you should check the other solutions we found.
A variation of this is required if you find that your shift key is typing the wrong sign. For example, you are trying to type the @ symbol, and seeing something else.
Press the Left ALT key and Shift simultaneously.
How to fix Shift key issue by holding both Shift keys?
If the problem persists, try holding down both Shift keys for a few seconds.The problem is still there ? Don’t worry, we have your back with other options.
How to fix Shift key issue by pressing both Shift keys alternately?
Another solution is to press the two Shift keys alternately. Repeat that for about a minute.
How to fix Shift key issue by holding both Shift keys and CTRL?
If nothing of the above fixes your problem, try holding both Shift keys and the CTRL key at once.
How to fix Shift key issue by holding ALT and Shift?
If the problem still isn’t fixed, you can try holding the left ALT and Shift keys for 10 seconds.
How to fix Shift key issue by FN and Num Lock?
The last keyboard solution is to press the fn key and the Num Lock key at the same time.
Are there any settings solutions?
If the different combinations of keys didn’t fix the problem, you should consider the following: first go to the “Control panel”. Then in the “Keyboard tab” click on “Accessibility options”. Then click on the settings buttons for Sticky keys, Filter keys and Toggle keys and deselect the option to use shortcut. Pressing five times the Shift key will turn off the Sticky Keys (or will turn them on, if they are already off).
We hope that you find these solutions useful and that your problem is now fixed!
- Shift key gives wrong symbol
- Caps Lock Reversed
- @ symbol doesn't work, it comes up as a [solved] > Forum - Keyboard
- Window key plus shift key press too long cause black screen > Forum - Windows 10
- What to Do When Your Function (Fn) Key Is Locked
- QWERTY vs AZERTY keyboards: change layout, quickly switch
- How to fix your keyboard typing numbers instead of letters?
- Fix keyboard using shortcuts: Windows 10/8/7
- Keyboard won't type letters or numbers: wireless, laptop
- Write the At symbol (@) on laptop keyboard: Windows and Mac