Accidentally diskparted my Passport ultra

Solved/Closed
-
 JackBo -
Hello,

I formatted it after the accidental diskpart but now the WD software does not recognize the drive as a WD drive. This is happening in WD Utilities and WD Smartware. Windows sees it fine and I can copy files to it but I can't use the WD software.

1 reply

Registration date
Saturday January 17, 2015
Status
Last seen
September 30, 2021
Hi JackBo,

I'm not sure this will work, but at least you shouldnt lose anything ...

Take a look at this link - its the download page of the firmware. Hopefully updating the firmware will reinstate the identity of the drive.

I have had no experience in this - If anyone else has ideas please let us know.

JackBo, Please let me know how you get on.
Thanks for your help but I did step by step what you suggested and it didn't work. I actually was able to borrow a passport ultra from a friend and my computer recognizes his drive as a WD drive by the WD Software while plugged in to either a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0.
I really think there is something wrong with my drive.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
September 30, 2021
If your friend doesnt mind, how about cloning his drive?

Afraid Im all out of ideas now. Sorry.
Registration date
Status
Last seen
September 30, 2021
it might be worth following this thread (just been posted) and see how it develops - Im not going to comment on it so we get new ideas - and hopefully a solution.

https://ccm.net/forum/affich-800449-my-passport-1tb-external-usb-hard-drive-not-being-recognized
I opened a support case with WD. I'll post back with the results.
The WD Tech ran me through the same things, uninstalling etc. but nothing would fix it so they sent me a RMA number and I have until the end of the month to send it back to get a replacement.