PHP - Parse error, unexpected T_STRING [Solved/Closed]

Ryan - Aug 18, 2015 at 12:54 PM - Latest reply:  Ryan
- Aug 20, 2015 at 07:53 PM
Hello,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my WordPress website and it seems to be because of this: http://ccm.net/faq/595-php-parse-error-unexpected-t-string-expecting-or

I want to display a custom field which is usually accomplished by inserting this simple code:

<?php echo get_post_meta(get_the_ID(), 'custom_field_name', TRUE); ?>

...but I get an error every time. Adding back slashes stops the error but nothing is displayed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

See more 

7 replies

ac3mark 10542 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Aug 18, 2015 at 05:51 PM
Thank you
Hey there. I found this in the Wordpress man. https://wordpress.org/support/topic/need-to-add-variable-to-function

It looks like the TRUE could break it, if the syntax is csse sensitive. I do apologize for not knowing the wordpress syntax. I guess put that down on things to learn. Great more marketable skills!
I hope this helps!

Have FUN!

I have said it once, I will say it again. IT!
ac3mark 10542 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Aug 19, 2015 at 04:43 PM
Maybe try the ASCII code for the " ' " symbol?
ac3mark 10542 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Aug 19, 2015 at 06:55 PM
Ok, you will need to build the string quote, as in : '''

or 'Single quote''Single quote''Single quote'...Sometimes you need to emulate the string, like in ASP: Response.write("here is the string"""+"In Quotes"+"""."); The previous statement would output: here is the string "In Quotes". Give that a try!
Thanks for all of the advice buddy. Through hours and hours of trial and error, this finally worked:

'.get_post_meta($q->ID, 'price', true).'

This has been a wake up call that I need to get much stronger in PHP. Like you said, nothing wrong with more marketable skills.
ac3mark 10542 Posts Monday June 3, 2013Registration dateModeratorStatus September 24, 2018 Last seen - Aug 20, 2015 at 05:15 PM
Atta boy! Way to Go! Should we mark it Solved?