USB Drive 0 Bytes problem

Closed
Dashboard320 Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 4, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 5, 2015 - Dec 4, 2015 at 09:15 AM
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   - Dec 10, 2015 at 04:53 AM
I got a 128gb pendrive and formatted it before using it. After that it said it is safe for me to eject it. When I tried to use it again it asked me to format again. I didn't do it because it wasn't being "read" the "right way".

This is what I mean

Checking its properties it showed 0B available

The hardware is fine, so I suspected it might have been formatted into the wrong format so I tried formatting it again. But in Capacity it shows Unknown

See--

Then I tried checking Disk Management and saw this

And finally in the command prompt it looks like this

P.S
It gets read without any problem, my computer doesn't ger laggy when I insert it. Also it gets "Safely Removed" without any delays
Please Help Fixing it...

1 response

Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37
Dec 4, 2015 at 10:45 AM
Hey there, Dashboard320.

I really can't be sure what could be the reason for the flash drive's partition to become unallocated all of a sudden on its own. Open Disk Management again and click with the right-mouse button on the partition with the black border where it says "Unallocated" and select "New simple volume". After that follow the wizard and when prompted to select a file system - choose NTFS.
If that doesn't prove useful try the same process with a different computer/device, to see if the same thing happens. You could also try the USB flash drive manufacturer's formatting tool/utility and reformat the pen drive with it, to see if that fixes the problem.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

WD Representative
Dashboard320 Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 4, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 5, 2015
Dec 5, 2015 at 01:28 AM
Got a "Data Error(Cyclic Redundancy Check)"
Thoughts?
Boogieman_WD Posts 275 Registration date Friday October 10, 2014 Status Member Last seen October 19, 2016   37 > Dashboard320 Posts 2 Registration date Friday December 4, 2015 Status Member Last seen December 5, 2015
Dec 10, 2015 at 04:53 AM
It doesn't sound good. CRC errors (cyclic redundancy check) are usually associated with hardware issues, but sometimes you could get lucky if it's a file system error and fix it with the chkdsk command. Here's how to do that:
1. Open CMD (Command Prompt) as administrator
2. type in chkdsk G: /f and press "enter" (note that if the letter of your USB flash drive is different from "G" you should change it with the correct one)
3. Once the process is completed, you could try to reformat the pen drive again.

If that doesn't help, I'd recommend that you ask for a replacement.

PS: sorry for the late reply.

Please let me know how it goes.