What to do when asked for "Network Password" in Outlook

Closed
dslomer64 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 25, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016 - Feb 25, 2016 at 11:29 AM
dslomer64 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 25, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016 - Feb 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM
I had to change my Google password yesterday. Doing so apparently made Outlook repeatedly ask me for a "Netword password" (that hadn't happened ... ever?) Nothing I tried worked. (I wasn't even sure what my User name was supposed to be, since it had been years since I set up Outlook. It turns out it was my Gmail account name.)

I had assumed (correctly, it turns out) that the password being requested was my the Google password for my ancient Gmail account. The one that I set yesterday.

However, Outlook refused to take it or any other password.

So in Outlook I did this:

Tools | Account settings | <select account> | Repair...

(By the way, the Account settings told me the user name that Outlook had been requesting the password for--my full Gmail account name.)

After clicking Repair..., I entered what I knew was the correct new password (that Outlook had been rejecting all morning). I clicked Next and Google "repaired" whatever problem Outlook had been having. I was able to send and receive email after this.

<Google: This is no way to run a railroad.> But somehow it worked. I did not expect it to.

So this isn't as much a question as a comment that I hope will help people or that people will reply to in order to clarify what the problem really was.

(The suggestion of changing settings in Control panel for sharing did not work for me.)
Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:38 AM
Hello,

the cause was you changing your password. Once you open Outlook it will ask for the password for that account - It's as simple as that.

dslomer64 Posts 2 Registration date Thursday February 25, 2016 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2016
Feb 25, 2016 at 11:53 AM
As I said in my original post ("However, Outlook refused to take it or any other password"), OUTLOOK WOULD NOT TAKE the newly-set Google password.

I obviously knew what it was since I had to enter it on the Repair... screen. Google then took some step behind the scenes that made it OK again.

It SHOULD be "as simple as that", but it wasn't. Hence the post.