How to use Macro to generate different reports

Closed
Veronica - Mar 30, 2016 at 06:25 PM
 Blocked Profile - Mar 31, 2016 at 04:41 PM
Hello,

I come across a question recently. I am hoping someone could help me.
I work for a property management company with over thirty properties and our property manager records his work in a spreadsheet everyday.
Normally, he sets up a spreadsheet with the titles: date, property code, property name, time, and descriptions about what he has done. Considering that he works on multiple properties at the same time and record all his daily work on one spreadsheet, we would like to generate reports that could contain his past work under different properties' names.

For Example:

Date Property Code Property Name Time Description
1-Mar 0000001 Property 1 8:00 AM Repair the window
1-Mar 0000002 Property 2 9:00 AM Meeting with tenants
1-Mar 0000003 Property 3 10:50 AM Contact Vendor

I am thinking to convert this format into another one by using Macro in Excel, so that the project manager can get two different report but only enter information at one time. One report records his daily work on all properties, the other one is a summary of his work on one specific property .

The other report could extract information from his daily log automatically into a format like below:
Property Code 0000001
Property Name Property 1
Date Time Description
1-Mar 8:00 AM Repair the window
2-Mar 8:15 AM Call repair vendor

Is there anyone who could help me solve this problem by writing a simple in Excel Macro?

Thank you very much!!!

Related:

2 responses

Blocked Profile
Mar 30, 2016 at 06:36 PM
You need a database for this. It will be much cleaner, and you will be able to pull easy and quick reports for billing!

Look into building a Database! There are plenty of Free (open source) ones out there.

When you build your "boxes", build a bunch of tables, not columns.

Have FUN!
VeronicaHhan Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday March 30, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2016
Mar 30, 2016 at 06:38 PM
What kind of database? Can you name some?
Do you think I can solve this by using Macro in Excel?
Thanks!
Blocked Profile
Mar 30, 2016 at 06:42 PM
Even with Excel, you would have to pull and link the DATA (description of the work needed for example), from somewhere. Linking sheets together for NON MATHEMATICAL Functions is not EXCEL's strong point.

Look at https://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

Play with it, and let us know if you have any questions!
VeronicaHhan Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday March 30, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 30, 2016
Mar 30, 2016 at 06:45 PM
Thank you! Btw, how do you think of Microsoft's free database?
Blocked Profile
Mar 30, 2016 at 06:50 PM
Not aware of MS free one...but I have many solutions on Access (especially when the data is local to all)!

Have FUN!
Mar 30, 2016 at 06:52 PM
Do you think it would be better for a small company to use Microsoft Access to share data to all?
Blocked Profile
Mar 31, 2016 at 04:41 PM
Yes, it can be, if your security is set up correctly. You will be happier with the end data set and the flexibility.

If you go a step further, and put a WEB front end on it. then it is just 1 login and Web security takes care of it all. It can be done!