How to report a defamatory account on Instagram

Anna - Jun 29, 2023 at 02:43 AM
Abhishek0025 Posts 33 Registration date Thursday September 14, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2024 - Sep 28, 2023 at 01:25 PM

Hello,

I am trying to report an account with a defamatory name, description and profile picture on Instagram but the process they have in place can only be used to report content (pictures, videos etc.). I have made about 5 reports but never got a decision as the process stops due to lack of an URL of a picture or a video.

How can a whole account be reported for defamation? 

Windows / Chrome 114.0.0.0

Related:

4 responses

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Jun 29, 2023 at 05:49 PM

Hi,

You can use this form to report defamatory content to Instagram.

If your country of residence is eligible, select I am reporting on behalf of myself. Next, enter your information and give the URL of the account you want to report. In your report, provide as much details as possible to prove that the account is defamatory.

In case that account seems to be going against Instagram's Community Standards, such as bullying or harassment, impersonation, false information, etc. then try reporting the account directly from the profile page.

Good luck. 

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have made 5 reports using this form and described everything in great detail. The problem is every time, even after I have provided a detailed description and the URL of the account, we get to the response that they can only evaluate my report further if I provide them with specific notice of individual pieces of content on Instagram that I believe infringe my rights, such as by providing specific web addresses (URLs) or otherwise describing the locations where such content is located.

It is a vicious circle we can't seem to break. The above is an automated message meaning none of these reports has ever reached a person to read them and take into consideration the explanation and details described.

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891 > Anna
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM

It looks like Instagram doesn't review accounts directly... Try providing the URL of each post that was published by that account and describe them why the content is defamatory. Your report should be reviewed by their team then.

Good luck

There are no posts. They have used the name, description and profile picture of the account to make defamatory statements about us. There is no other URL related to this besides the one for the account.

HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024 1,891
Jul 3, 2023 at 06:32 AM

Try reporting the account from the profile page (3 dots > Report) and explain that it hurts your company's reputation. I hope Instagram will take action against that account.

Good luck.

Anna > HelpiOS Posts 14311 Registration date Friday October 30, 2015 Status Moderator Last seen April 24, 2024
Jul 4, 2023 at 07:27 AM

I have done it about 3 times. Same response.

Jul 5, 2023 at 08:36 AM

Hi,

Try reaching the Oversight Board. You can contact them if you want to appeal the decision made by Instagram about the content you reported (or about your own content).

To check if you're eligible to appeal Instagram's decision to the Oversight Board, go to Menu > Settings and privacy > More info and support > Help > Support requests > Report. If you've an Oversight Board reference number next to your report, then you can contact them.

However, note that the Oversight Board only selects a number of appeals that are eligible for review. I can't guarantee that they'll look at your appeal.

Good luck

Abhishek0025 Posts 33 Registration date Thursday September 14, 2023 Status Member Last seen February 25, 2024 1
Sep 28, 2023 at 01:25 PM

To report an entire Instagram account for defamation when the standard reporting process only covers specific content, you can report individual defamatory posts within the account, reach out to Instagram support for assistance, and document evidence for potential legal action if necessary.