Compare and Combine two sheets into one

Closed
colleenlit Posts 1 Registration date Thursday June 2, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 2, 2016 - Jun 2, 2016 at 06:04 PM
mattgdunn Posts 4 Registration date Thursday June 2, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 2, 2016 - Jun 2, 2016 at 09:37 PM
Thank you in advance!

I have one excel spreadsheet with rows of customer contact information and the account they are associated with.

I have another excel spreadsheet with rows of the accounts and a unique code associated with each account.

I need one spreadsheet with rows of customer contact information, the account, and the unique account code.

1 response

mattgdunn Posts 4 Registration date Thursday June 2, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 2, 2016
Jun 2, 2016 at 09:37 PM
Hi Colleen,

This article from excelvlookuphelp.com answers your question nicely:

A vlookup looks for a value in the leftmost column of a table and then returns a value from the row that the searched for value is found (how far along that row is determined by you).

The 4 parts to a vlookup formula:

SearchFor this is the value that is being searched for. In our dictionary example it would be the word “elucidate”.
WhereToSearch this is the range in which to search and in which the answer lives. In our example, it would be columns A to C.
WhichColumn this is the column in the WhereToSearch range which has the answer in it. In our dictionary example, it would be the third column.
NearOrExact you decide whether the vlookup should search for a close value or an exact value (in our dictionary example we would set this to false as we do want it to search for the exact word “elucidate”).
Structure of the vlookup formula:

=vlookup ( SearchFor , WhereToSearch , WhichColumn , NearOrExact )

For our dictionary vlookup example, see what the formula looks like below

Source: http://www.excelvlookuphelp.com