HD mounts without name and does not open effectively

Closed
Program123 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2016 - Jun 7, 2016 at 08:26 PM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jun 14, 2016 at 03:15 AM
Dear friends, I am new to the forum because I have just discover it.

I have a HD Seagate Backup Plus, which just bought to do backup other HDs, but I was cutting out data from other hard drives from 500GB to him, the Seagate Backup Plus had around 2TB and little, I guess.

I was copying data and it was working normally, then he stopped copying, but still appeared mounted, but tried to enter the folder and was processing slowly

I tried to click again and it did not recognize, tried to open the CrystalDiskInfo and take long, or caught everything.

I emphasize that the new HD is less than a week and no fall or anything like this.

So when plug in the windows, he that had the name "Seagate Backup Plus" now appears as drive just the name: (E :) so, without the original name, and when I click, is suing and never opens.

So I went on ubuntu, and there was recognized the HD named "Seagate Backup Plus," and when clicked on properties to see the size of the data, instead of almost 2TB, appear only 6Gb then clicked on the HD and managed to open it and see normally the folders and files in the root. The root files occupy 6Gb, the remaining of data are in folders, and when trying to open a folder, was the same problem processing forever and nothing happens.

I emphasize that HD dont have noise.

So before attempting any procedure, I decided to see here in the forum the best option to do.

Thanks in advanced.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jun 9, 2016 at 04:46 AM
Hi Program123 and welcome to CCM,

Could you try connecting the drive to the Windows PC again and opening Disk Management? Does the drive have a proper file format and the correct capacity? Using Linux was a great decision. It usually works when Windows cannot properly read information on the drive. I would recommend you to open the Windows Command Prompt and type the following command:
Chkdsk E: /r

Have in mind that E must be drive’s drive letter. If the scan does not recover the drive or cannot complete, I would recommend you to contact the seller and ask for further support.

Hope this helps

Program123 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2016
Jun 10, 2016 at 01:50 PM
Hello dear R2D2_WD, thanks for your answer.

One doubt, in your opinion, what it is best I do first?
If I try to backup by linux using HDDSuperclone or first I try to use chkdsk E: / r ?

1 - Is there a risk if I try to use chkdsk? And depending on the HD problem of reason, it gets worse, and I even lost the poor access that I can (in linux) now with HD?

2 - if I try to backup by the HDDSuperclone, without use the chkdsk is worse?

Because I heard that when the HD starts giving trouble is better not use much in it, at least decide what to do with HD.

I want to test both options, use the HDDSuperclone and chkdsk, but do not know whick of two is better do first.

What do you think?

Thanks in advanced
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155 > Program123 Posts 2 Registration date Tuesday June 7, 2016 Status Member Last seen June 10, 2016
Jun 14, 2016 at 03:15 AM
Hi again,

I am sorry for answering you a bit late. It is always better to try backing up before using the hard drive or checking it for errors. You are absolutely right, using a drive with performance issues may damage it further. If you can, use a data recovery software or a backup tool in order to save the data and then use the command. Sometimes, depending on the problem, chkdsk may boost the performance, easing the backup process. Please, let me know if there is any progress.

Hope this helps