WD My Cloud External Hard Drive 6TB WDBCTL0060HWT-AESN

Closed
Soniam182 Posts 1 Registration date Wednesday July 6, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 6, 2016 - Jul 6, 2016 at 09:51 AM
R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   - Jul 7, 2016 at 04:02 AM
I have the above External Hard Drive- its connected to my Desktop Tower- Access via Network. This (EHD) is the "Main Source Hard Drive" for all my devices backup's and where all my downloads eg: Movies and Music ect. are all sorted.

There is a "2nd" backup system in this called "Safe Points"- but thats a different issue there !!

What my Main Concern is; I had a "large amount" of movies and music - that I moved from my desktop tower to my EHD, to save on space, and I always thought I did have a copy of all saved else where- but I was wrong.
Moving Forward; there was heaps of pictures/double up's ect of other files- which I still have copy's of on my desktop - so my main concern is instead of wasting hours sorting and deleting I did a "Factory Reset" then would transfer back on 1 by 1 ect.

But as I don't have a "backup OR saved a copy of the movies and music folders - Iv LOST them all; is their a way or program that I could use- would like it too be free if possible- that I could DL, connect the EHD to my laptop and let it scan ect and it to be able to retrieve all that was on there (as of today 06/07/2016)

as I reset it- other devices are connected back to it- as per before FYI

Can anyone help- Im devastated on how stupid I was for not "double checking" before Factory Reset.
Related:

1 response

R2D2_WD Posts 3606 Registration date Monday September 1, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 20, 2017   155
Jul 7, 2016 at 04:02 AM
Hi Soniam182,

What happened was quire unfortunate. In general, if you haven’t used the drive since the factory reset, you may have the chance to retrieve some data. Using the drive may lead to overwriting the data, which will make it impossible to recover. I leave you download link to some data recovery software.
https://ccm.net/downloads/tools/file-management/

Using a cloud for a storage device is a really useful solution, but you should always have the information stored on at least one other device.

I hope you will get all your data back!
Hope this helps