Wireless Adapter turns off on its own

Closed
ThedevilSlayer Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday July 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2016 - Jul 27, 2016 at 06:25 PM
 Blocked Profile - Jul 27, 2016 at 07:40 PM
Hello dear mortals,

I'm spending some days with my family and they don't have WiFi in their home and my laptop can't reach the nearest WiFi so I've got this wireless adapter called alfa network awus036h from a friend. I installed it on my pc and when I plugged the adapter it kept turning off and back on and windows made the sound of unplugging every two seconds and I can't get it to work. I installed the driver from the CD and I tried downloading it from the internet and reinstalling it from the scratch.

I've got a Toshiba satellite c50-a-1jr which came with windows 8.1
Note: the adapter works perfectly on another computer.

Pls Halp i'm not really good with computers

1 response

Blocked Profile
Jul 27, 2016 at 06:38 PM
Is your problem that you can't load it, or it won't connect?

Is the other machine 8.1 also?

According to the manufacturer, it isn't 8.1 compatible! See here:
https://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=92

ThedevilSlayer Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday July 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2016
Jul 27, 2016 at 06:50 PM
the problem is it disables/shuts off itself right after I plug it in

no the other machine was a seven

I did some research and apparently some people use the same adapter on win8 and win10
Blocked Profile
Jul 27, 2016 at 06:55 PM
Well, win8 is flawed (why do you think 10 hit the streets so fast?), so that isn't even an option!

I am not aware of running hardware in compatibility mode, so I am not certain what to say about the hardware incompatibility issue! Hurry and get 10? 2 days left for a free upgrade (for wifi on vaca!)

I am not serious about jumping to 10, but if you do, I encourage you to make certain your hardware will run it! 10 is really good IMHO! But, without a steady network, I DO NOT ENCOURAGE you to go through that, as when it is loaded, it takes about 48 hours for all of the updates to be placed ontop of it!
ThedevilSlayer Posts 3 Registration date Wednesday July 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen July 27, 2016
Jul 27, 2016 at 07:02 PM
Thank you for the suggestion!
I'm gonna try making a win10 usb bootable FD to see if it fix my problem
Blocked Profile
Jul 27, 2016 at 07:40 PM
Understand, when I went through the 10 upgrade, the PC was unusable for 2 days, while updates were loaded and applied!