Please help: my western digital is not recognized

Closed
elena_sol Posts 1 Registration date Thursday October 27, 2016 Status Member Last seen October 27, 2016 - Oct 27, 2016 at 12:44 PM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - Oct 28, 2016 at 01:04 PM
Hello,
My WD external hard drive quit working when it got disconnected by moving it out of the way— softly. I though it was the USB cable so I tried the new cable and still nothing.

I unplugged and plugged back and it's not recognized by any of the computers at home and work. It does not make the clicking sound that it's usually associated with "dying HD"

I checked it with the "Disk Utilities" app and the drive name shows up "grayed out", when I selected it reads as follows:

Name: 500 GB WD Passport 0704 Media
Mount point: Not mounted
Format: MS-DOS(FAT)
Number of folders: -
Capacity: 500 GB
Available: -
Used-
Number of files -

Are all the files completely lost? Any information could help.

Thanks you in advance,
~elena

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
Oct 28, 2016 at 01:04 PM
Hi there Elena,

Have you tried to plug the WD hard drive to different ports on your MAC if more than one? If not, I recommend you plugging it in each of them because, for instance, the rear USB ports or that ones on the front panel may need updating their drivers.
Besides that, I would like to know, have you connected the external WD hard drive on different computers with different operating systems recently? If so, please, tell me more about it. I am also interested if the external drive has additional power cord or it receives the power by an USB cable. I'd appreciate if you give me more details about that.
Can you hear the hard drive spinning while connected or everything is calm and does not feel any vibration when you touch the case? If so, I think the disk must be brought to a data recovery company in order to help you extracting the information.

Hope this helps. Have a nice weekend.