Account hacked

Solved/Closed
BigNelly75 Posts 2 Registration date Monday May 15, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2017 - May 15, 2017 at 10:56 AM
BigNelly75 Posts 2 Registration date Monday May 15, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2017 - May 15, 2017 at 03:26 PM
My husband's gmail account was hacked and he is now receiving hundreds of emails that appear to be redirected from other companies. He changed his password which did not stop the incoming emails. No out going emails are being made from his account to people on his contact list at this time.

His ebay account was also hacked (passwords and account setting have been changes). Any suggests on disabling the account or stopping the incoming emails?

1 response

Blocked Profile
May 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Hi there,

it may be that he is suffering from backscatter spam.

Basically, if someone spoofed his email address or sent from his account to say 1000 email addresses and 50 of those email addresses that he sent to did not exist, he would probably receive 50 bounce back emails to his inbox saying the mailbox didnt exist.

Best thing to do would be to create a rule within GMAIL that moves email with a common phrase to the delete items so you can filter out your inbox.

Other then that you should contact GMAIL and Ebay support to let them know.

Make sure you pick a secure password going forward.
BigNelly75 Posts 2 Registration date Monday May 15, 2017 Status Member Last seen May 15, 2017
May 15, 2017 at 03:26 PM
Thank you so much for your help. I have no idea when he changed his password last but I will have him to that tonight. I was afraid we were going to have to just stop using the gmail account. I just found this website today and you have truly been wonderful.