June 13, 2017
-
Registration date
Sunday September 12, 2010
Status
Last seen
October 27, 2020
-
I have a record in cell A, I want to find it in a range of records in cell b, if found then I want to look at column c for this record, if column c is blank or zero then returns an "x" if column c is not blank then leave column c blank... I had tried and I cannot seem to get it to work

3 replies

Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 27, 2020
Hi tai8,

Your query doesn't make much sense to me.

You want to compare column A to column B, when record found check column C. When column C is empty or zero, then the record is not found, you want to return an 'x'. When column C is not empty (does it matter if it found the record?), you want to empty the cell.

So you want to loop through column C and replace all empty and zero cells by 'x' and clear all the cells that have a record which is found in both column A and B.

Is this what you are after? Am I even close?

Best regards,
Trowa
Registration date
Monday June 12, 2017
Status
Last seen
June 13, 2017

You are almost there,

You want to compare column a record in column A to a range of records in column B, when record is found in column then check column C for that record. If column column C is empty or zero, then return an "X' . if column c is not empty or zero then leave it blank (does it matter if it found the record?), Yes, it does matter if the record is found. I want the solution to be posted in column E. I am making sense?
Registration date
Status
Last seen
October 27, 2020
Let's see if we can get there all the way :)

Give the following code a try in a copy of your workbook:
Sub RunMe()
Dim mFind As Range

For Each cell In Range("A2:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    Set mFind = Columns("B").Find(cell.Value)
    If Not mFind Is Nothing Then
        Set mFind = Columns("C").Find(cell.Value)
        If Not mFind Is Nothing Then mFind.ClearContents
    End If
Next cell

For Each cell In Range("C2:C" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
    If cell.Value = vbNullString Or cell.Value = 0 Then cell.Offset(0, 2).Value = "x"
Next cell
End Sub

Since you asked for a formula and instead get a macro code, here is how to use it:
How to implement and run a code:

- From Excel hit Alt + F11 to open the “Microsoft Visual Basic” window.
- Go to the top menu in the newly opened window > Insert > Module.
- Paste the code in the big white field.
- You can now close this window.
- Back at Excel, hit Alt + F8 to display the available macro’s.
- Double-click the macro you wish to run.
NOTE: macro’s cannot be reversed using the blue arrows. Always make sure you save your file (or create a back up to be entirely sure) before running a code, so you can re-open your file if something unforeseen happens or you want to go back to the situation before the code was run.

Best regards,
Trowa