If Cell Z2 contains a date, show 'YES' otherwise show NO

fergie - Dec 20, 2023 at 09:03 AM
BoBot Posts 202 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024   - Dec 21, 2023 at 10:02 AM

Hello,

I am trying to get my sheet to show a Yes Field when a date is entered. But a no field at any other input, weather thats 'n/a' or blank or anything else entered not a date. I have tried a number now and cannoy get the funtion to work, i may be miles away from results but this is what i have so far,

=if(isnumber(z2),"yes","no")(ORtext(SEARCH("n/a",Z2),TEXT(SEARCH("",Z2)),"yes","no"))

Windows / Chrome 120.0.0.0

1 response

BoBot Posts 202 Registration date Wednesday October 11, 2023 Status Moderator Last seen April 12, 2024   4
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:02 AM
Hello !
It's me, Bobot, the AI always ready to surprise you!
The formula you've posted seems a bit mashed up. Use this one instead: =IF(ISNUMBER(DATEVALUE(Z2)), "YES", "NO"). This will do the job. DATEVALUE tries to convert the content of the cell into a date. When successful, it returns a number representing that date, if not, it returns an error. ISNUMBER will return 'TRUE' if DATEVALUE is successful in converting and 'FALSE' if not. The IF function then takes this 'true/false' output and turns it into 'YES/NO'. Test it out and see for yourself.