Ask a question Report

Can't open my 2007 document [Solved]

bernie - Latest answer on Apr 13, 2015 11:59AM
Hello,
i can't open my docx word document.i'm running office 2007 and i'm clickin all my word documents and getting the same response "the file is not available"! this is happenin with all my saved documents. their format is docx.
Help!
thanks
Read more 
Answer
+48
moins plus
Microsoft uses a new document format by default in Office 07 (.docx instead of .doc). A lot of people have ran into this problem, mostly because Microsoft didn't even care to tell you. They also fail to let you know that you can still save documents as .doc to ensure compatibility with previous versions of Word.

What they do offer though, is a converter (in the form of an update/patch) so you can open your docx files in previous versions of Office.

Click on the link to get it.

http://www.microsoft.com/...

Hope it helps.
challenged- Jan 4, 2009 11:29AM
Thanks for the info on the file conversion, this has been driving me mad for ages and now resolved!!! STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mary- Jul 25, 2010 05:59AM
everytime i try to open a document it comes up in different writings and numbers in wordpad. why is it doing that? please help.
jshu- Sep 11, 2013 05:08PM
thank you.. great guidance. Really helped out a lot.
julius- Sep 12, 2014 02:33AM
hey,
I can't open my document on excel 2007 . why I try to open the response is'' there was a problem sending the command to the program''... please help me
MK- Apr 13, 2015 11:59AM
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/211494
Add comment
Answer
+22
moins plus
I've finally solved this problem combining many ideas and editing registry.

*** PREAMBLE ***

When i double clicked and xlsx or xls file, excel opens but the file doesn't. Instead, i receive a message from excel that says file can't be located.

my pc conf is:
- vista home premium,
- office 2007 2p1
- and a lot of extra software like mcafee and acrobat...

I mixed idea of two previous solution and discussion on the web that talk about editing registry (to add quotes) and DDE conflicts with an idea of my own.

Original ideas didn't work on my pc like expected. I've wondered I had some kind on DDE conflict, so I disabled DDE through registry editing and voalį! it works! =D

*** SOLUTION ***

1.- find subkey of file that doesn't open using double click:

1.1- find extension you have conflict in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ (ie: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlxs) and then read data of (Default) value (ie: Excel.Sheet.12)

1.2.- find that value again in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ (ie: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12) and look inside subkey shell\open (ie: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open)

NOTE: if you need, check http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1u4sk-vista-excel-2007-cannot-open for more on this

2.- disable DDE through:

2.1- rename original ddeexcec key to ddeexec.bk (ie: original HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\ddeexec gets named HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\ddeexec.bk)

WARNING: in next step (2.2) be sure to do not rename command key; command key and command value are not the same things (keys are like folders and values mostly like files inside folders)

2.2- first, look inside comman subkey (ie: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\command), then rename command value to command.bk (ie: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\command\command gets named HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\command\command.bk)

3.- be sure correct non DDE command is set as data of (Default) value in command subkey:

3.1 Verify data of (Default) value match this pattern: "...excel.exe" "%1" /e (ie: the value which data was verified is: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\command\(Default))

3. 2 If data verified do not match, then edit it in order to match the pattern. (ie: data of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.12\shell\open\command\(Default) was setted to: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" "%1" /e)

I hope to help.
Regards,
Sergio.
sergio28julio@gmail.com
Will- Jul 8, 2010 09:54AM
I had this exact problem on an XP machine I was responsible for managing. Your fix worked! Really slick, thanks alot Sergio.
sergio- Jul 10, 2010 12:53PM
you're welcome! ;)
Z- Aug 14, 2010 06:39AM
Thanks, helped a lot!
Add comment
Answer
+13
moins plus
Hey people

I managed to fix this issue - it was because my default program was set to Microsoft Works Word Processor instead of Microsoft Word.

All you have to do is change your default program (assuming you are using Vista these are the steps required)..

Go to Start > Programs > Default Programs and select ' Associate a file type or protocol with a program'

Let the screen load all the extensions then scrol down to find the .doc extension then check it is set to use Microsoft Word - if it isn't select the 'Change Program' button at the top and change it to use MS Word instead and that should resolve the problem

If not go to the MS website and download MS Office SP1 and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck!
lddeville- Aug 22, 2009 04:55PM
Vani,
Thanks for your answer! My .doc files were set to be opened by notepad. I associated them with MS Word and now they work.
dee- Dec 30, 2009 04:14PM
Thanks Vani
Your suggestion to associate the file extension .docx to MS Word worked perfectly. You prevented me from going bald. Have a great 2010.

Dee
jj- Aug 3, 2010 06:38PM
You're awesome. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure this out. I even had an IT guy at the university I work for tell me to uninstall and re-install Office . . . I did NOT want to do that and set up Outlook again; many thanks for an EASY solution.

jj
Scroobs- Oct 14, 2013 10:40AM
Fantastic! Thank you very much - solved the problem for me.
Add comment
Answer
+4
moins plus
Delete and reinstall Office 2007 will correct your problems.
GenX- Feb 22, 2009 11:57PM
If you still using previous version of Office, you have to convert docx before you can read / modify it.

http://forkus.com/files/download/docx+converter
Add comment
Answer
+4
moins plus
--
ok here is my advice to you. remove office 2007 install 2003 then install 2007 dont choose upgrade choose onother option so you will use both office and they wont cnflic
Add comment
Answer
+3
moins plus
I found a fix for the .doc not opening in Windows mail -

open a new mail message, then attach any word doc to it. Then right click on the attachment, and it will ask you which program it should use to open it - select either Word or Word Viewer, and it will automatically set this up as default for the future.
plainswamp- Mar 25, 2010 04:56AM
hello everyone,

i have a problem from opening a word, excel and powerpoint to 2003 or 2007 office. Actually, in an instant my documents folder lost every single file. I don't know how and why?.. the thing is i just recovered it but it wont open and some message that it says I need to decode it or something... I tried it on every computer that has a 2003 office and 2007. thnks in advance
Hans MB- Aug 12, 2010 05:47AM
I Have had the same problem until 2 minutes ago, when reading this forum i found some of the solution.
What i found is the following:
Go to Start > Programs > Default Programs and select ' Associate a file type or protocol with a program'
My .doc file where associated with Word but my .docx files where associated with word conversion protocol or something like that. I replaced that with the usual word assosiation by going to the location where i have installed Word and the problems where gone.

Hope it works 4 u
Add comment
Answer
+2
moins plus
I had a similar problem with Word 2007 on Vista (home premium) - I'd double click on a .docx file and it would claim not to be able to find the file I just opened!! Turned out the file association was set to "Word Viewer" - changing it to Word itself did the trick!
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
Issue:

When trying to open Word Documents with MS Office 2007 installed in Windows Vista, it returns the error message "The file <file name> is not available"

Discussion :

This issue occurs when there is a AVG 2008 Installed on the system. It is assumed that it is an issue with AVG's Engine conflicting with Word 2007

Solution :

- Uninstall AVG 2008 from the system
- Reboot the system

Reference Website : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080903014217AAVP4pU
CB- Jan 7, 2009 11:15AM
Hi,
I was wondering if you could help me. I saw your answer on yahoo about why someone could not open any documents using office 2007. I have the same problem. Whether I'm using word or excel or any other program, every document that I try to open says "unavailable". I saw your suggestion about unistalling av something, but I don't think that I have this program. I have tried unistalling office and reinstalling it several times. At one point, I had norton and I unistalled that and had the same problem. I think that I now have McCaffe running, but it wasn't working before I installed this virus software, so I don't think McCaffe is the problem. There must be something else that is conflicting. Do you have any ideas for me. I'm desperate. For a while, I went back to previous versions of office, but I had issues with the addresses not generating properly on my email when I used Outlook (which I found out was actually not a problem but a missing option with that version). So then I switched back to Outlook Express>>>but I now have a blackberry and have to use Outlook. Long story short...I really need to keep my Office 2007 but I have not been able to open any documents for months now. I have to send the document by email to another computer to open it. I'm ready to pull my hair out. Please help.

thanks

Carol
CB- Jan 7, 2009 11:41AM
CB, on Wednesday January 7, 2009 04:15:20 PMHi,
I was wondering if you could help me. I saw your answer on yahoo about why someone could not open any documents using office 2007. I have the same problem. Whether I'm using word or excel or any other program, every document that I try to open says "unavailable". I saw your suggestion about unistalling av something, but I don't think that I have this program. I have tried unistalling office and reinstalling it several times. At one point, I had norton and I unistalled that and had the same problem. I think that I now have McCaffe running, but it wasn't working before I installed this virus software, so I don't think McCaffe is the problem. There must be something else that is conflicting. Do you have any ideas for me. I'm desperate. For a while, I went back to previous versions of office, but I had issues with the addresses not generating properly on my email when I used Outlook (which I found out was actually not a problem but a missing option with that version). So then I switched back to Outlook Express>>>but I now have a blackberry and have to use Outlook. Long story short...I really need to keep my Office 2007 but I have not been able to open any documents for months now. I have to send the document by email to another computer to open it. I'm ready to pull my hair out. Please help.

thanks

Carol
CB- Jan 7, 2009 01:31PM
VICTORY!

Just wanted to tell you that I fixed the problem. I looked at my program list and saw Norton still there. I tried to unistall it and it said "fatal installation error" and would not let me unistall it. (I had previously unistalled it and also run the Norton Unistall Tool about 6 months ago.) I guess the Tool was not suffiecient at that time and all the components did not uninstall. I just found the new updated Norton Unistall Tool and ran it. It took a few trys to actually get it to run, but when it ran, it was clear that it was removing more components. I restarted my computer and checked my populated programs list and the Symantic was still there. I tried another unistall and it gave me the same message of "fatal installation error" - so it still shows on the list. However, whatever I did do, must have removed the components that were conflicting with my Office 2007 and now I can open all documents on word, excel etc. What a relief.
Rainbow_Eagle CB - May 4, 2009 05:09PM
Hi Carol, I was having the same problem, but I have found a solution! While you're in Office 2007, re-save the file as a "Word 97 - 2003 Document" and then transfer it to your phone. You will be able to read the file once it has the "doc" extension instead of the "docx" extension.

Rainbow_Eagle
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
Thanks my friend. This really ease the pressure. Thanks once again. Keep up the good work.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
I have office 2003 as well as office 2007 stored in my computer, I want that file stored in 97-2003 mode first open in 2003 mode as default. how to do it?
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
I have office 2003 as well as 2007 stored on my destop. I have certain excel file which are saved in 97-2003 mode. Whenever i open my excel file they are opened in office 2007 mode. Now when i introduce changes in the file and try to save those changes then, it is not accepting the changes because of sharing voilation & create a duplicate file. Its keeps on making duplicate file as i introduce changes. Now how to cope the situation.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
My 2007 exel wouldnt open old exel documents saying file could not be found etc...no matter which way I tried to open them......
tried emailing the document to myself & they opened :0)...dont know why but it worked for me :0)
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
I had the same problem on Windows 7, with Office 2007. None of the files could be opened, all the Office programs gave this message "the file is not available".
I solved the problem inspired by the other answers above by uninstaling other programs that could interfere, so I uninstalled my antivirus, Nod32 v4 or something like that, and it worked. It was the last thing I had installed before having this problem.
I hope my answer is usefull for somebodyelse.
Add comment
Answer
+1
moins plus
Hey I had the same issue with my computer. I wasted my time on it for
many days but finally I got a solution from this link
http://www.microsoftliveassist.com/error-messages-when-you-try-to-uninstall-microsoft-office-2013/
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Hello Guys!

Well I've tried everything I see here. I still have the same problem. The thing is that it only occurs on my computer but If I transfer to the file into my brothers computer the file works and I am able to open it without any problem. I've uninstalled 07 lots of times and installed again and nothing seems to work for me :(

Any ideas of what could be wrong?
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
i have installed office 2007 in my laptop when i want to save any file in word or excel i cant reopen it in word or excel
Add comment
Answer
+0
moins plus
Brilliant Sergio :)
Registry still had Word.Document.10 when the new MS Office Word 2007 was Word.Document.12
Followed your instruction to the tee and noticed that windows was trying to open up the docx file with the old Word.Document.10
Works like it should now.
Only question is why didn't the new software fix this to begin with!
Not everyone has the know-how or patience to go into the registry to fix things like this. It only took 10 minutes but still it should be done automatically for a program that costs lots of money.

Add: for those that can't get this to work for some reason, a work around is to open MS Word 2007 first then open the file from within the program...little bit of a pain but works nonetheless.
Add comment
Answer
moins plus
I have the same problem. Dont know what to do know. I even remove the software and reinstall it. It's still the same. I think some window files is missing. That's why it cannot oepn
just me- May 8, 2009 12:59PM
To answer your question , You have to resave your docs. Go to top left corner of your word doc. click on the cirle with the emblem, scroll down to save as, this will give you option as to how you want to save your doc. click on word 97 - 2003 doc. This is the only way I can open my docs that i save for school.Maybe it will work for you.
Add comment
Answer
moins plus
I'm using word 2007 and my documents now have a docx extention, consequently it's creating some problems. How can I covert to doc, extention and where do I locate these files
Add comment
Answer
moins plus
You can recover your corrupted doc file by following these steps:

* Use 'Open and Repair' feature to repair the document. To do so, click File, then click Open. Choose the file that you wish to repair and click on 'Open and Repair'.
* If the problem persists, then restore the data from an updated backup.
* In case of no backup, you can Repair Word File using a commercial software.

Stellar Phoenix Word Recovery is the effective repair software which can Repair Word File after any logical crash. This tool is easy to understand and do not require any former technical understanding.

Stellar Phoenix Word Recovery instantly repairs and restores Word documents created in MS Word 2007, 2003, 2002, and 2000.
Add comment
1 2 Next
This document entitled « Can't open my 2007 document » from CCM (ccm.net) is made available under the Creative Commons license. You can copy, modify copies of this page, under the conditions stipulated by the license, as this note appears clearly.

Not a member yet?

sign-up, it takes less than a minute and it's free!

Members get more answers than anonymous users.

Being a member gives you detailed monitoring of your requests.

Being a member gives you additional options.