Can't install any antivirus software-Help!

Closed
comperror - May 11, 2010 at 01:53 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - May 12, 2010 at 04:11 AM
Can't install any antivirus software - all installations fail

Hi, I have windows XP SP2 installed on an IBM T41 laptop
I had AVG antivirus until one day it stopped working (didn't even load on windows startup), so i tried to uninstall it, and then re-install it but it didn't let me reinstall it.
I'm unable to reinstall any other antivirus i tried to (such as NOD32, spyware-doctor).
I believe there is a virus on my PC that prevents me from installing any antivirus software.
Another issue I have is that my wireless doesn't work anymore. I get a message saying: "windows can't configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to manage this wireless connection, please use that software" - i didn't install any other software to manage my wireless.

I cannot use system restoration as well (both under normal and safe mode).

Please help......
Related:

3 responses

Ambucias,

Thanks a lot. I did it following your way. Unfortunately, it didnot work.
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
May 11, 2010 at 05:08 PM
Hello Comperror,

Oh boy! What a mess!

We can't be sure that if you have a virus and I have a very potent poison that can kill it in 5 minutes flat. However I am reluctant to prescribe it to you for it does a scrub which may affect some parts of your system if not used against a virus.

My first impression is that there may have been an interruption of your AVG updates, something that created havoc in your registry.

As a first step, I recommend that you first try to completely uninstall AVG. I know you said you did, but make a file search for AVG and delete them.

As a second step, download this free registry cleaner.

https://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

Run a scan and delete all items related to AVG.

Once all that is done, reinstall AVG and do your updates.

I trust that NOD32 is not on your system for that takes a lot of manoeuvers to uninstall.

If all else fails, I will send you the potent medicinal compoung.

Good luck
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
May 12, 2010 at 04:11 AM
Hello Comperror,

So, as I promissed here is the medicinal compound.

I don't know the state of your system now, however, I shall prescribe to you a very powerfull antidote that is able to kill and send and Trojan Horse to the glue factory. It is of very last resort and should not be abused of, as matter of a fact, once you have used it, I suggest you delete it from your system.

To keep your system safe, you must follow the instructions hereunder to the letter:

1. Download Combofix to your desktop.

http://www.combofix.org/download.php

2.Close all open Windows including this one.

Close or disable all running Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall programs as they may interfere with the proper running of ComboFix.

3. Double click on the ComboFix icon.

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue.

4. Accept the disclaimer and the recovery

5.You should now press the Yes button to continue. If at any time during the Recovery Console installation you receive a message stating that it failed to install, please allow ComboFix to continue with the scan of your computer.

ComboFix will disconnect your computer from the Internet, so do not be surprised or concerned if you receive any warnings stating that you are no longer on the Internet. When ComboFix has finished it will automatically restore your Internet connection.

While the program is scanning your computer, it will change your clock format, so do not be concerned when you see this happen. When ComboFix is finished it will restore your clock settings to their previous settings.

If you see your Windows desktop disappear, do not worry. This is normal and ComboFix will restore your desktop before it is finished. Eventually you will see a new screen that states the program is almost finished and telling you the programs log file, or report, will be located at C:\ComboFix.txt.

During the process, please do not mouse click nor must you tap on the keyboard. Let the tool run.

Good luck

Ambucias