Excel comparison of partial or wild card data

Solved/Closed
Trish - Nov 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM
 Trish - Nov 15, 2010 at 01:49 PM
Hello,

I have two columns in Excel that I want to compare. The data in work sheet 1, column A has values that are tabbed. This data has the adjacent descriptions in the same work sheet column B, that I would like to keep connected.

There is another work sheet 2 that has the same values as mentioned above that have been wild carded by removing the duplicate tabs from a prior program. Lets call it column B of worksheet 2.

I would like to compare values in column A work sheet 1 with the values in column B worksheet 2 that are truncated and replaced with wild card value. I would like the values to be sorted and placed in a different column along with its description that is attached to the first set of data in worksheet 1.

So it looks like this.

Worksheet 1 Column A Column B
m00012345-1 description of A1
5678-01 description of A2
5678-02 description of A3
(other data)

Worksheet 2 Column B
m00012345*
m00089898*
5678*
(other wild card data)

I would like to sort the data to produce one column of tabbed data with its description in worksheet 2 any column.

Thanks for your time.
I appreciate your help on this?

Related:

2 responses

data_encoder Posts 13 Registration date Wednesday November 3, 2010 Status Member Last seen November 15, 2010 1
Nov 15, 2010 at 01:03 PM
Having a hard time picturing this data, pls send a link to download for review and I can probably work on this.
Provide a sheet3 with how the data is suppose to be after the comparison so I know what result you are looking for.
Can you please tell me how to provide a link? I am not sure. Do I just send an attachment or a screen shot???

Thanks