My laptop screwed up big time.

Closed
John - Nov 30, 2011 at 01:27 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Nov 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM
Hello,

So I come home from somewhere, one of my friends tells me he shut down the laptop, so I force shut it down to end it quickly (because shutting down on Windows is like waiting for a stone wall to talk to you). Later I notice my wasn't recognized.. I plugged it in (it's wired, the red light underneath it is lit when I plug it in in any of the ports) all the USB ports, but none of them worked. But my mouse showed no signs of death or.. malfunction.

I try searching on the Internet and I found out a way to see if my laptop wasn't recognizing my mouse, I opened up "Device Manager" and it told me my PS/2 Compatible Genius Mouse was being recognized, but it just didn't worked no matter what I did, I rebooted my laptop, plugged it out and plugged it in, all sorts of stuff. A few minutes later, I open a game which has sounds and music on it, I can't hear it at all. I see an (X) on my sound notification thingy and I think "guess it was muted" so I put my finger on the mute button on my laptop, it didn't change.. it kept the (X) there. I hover the sound notification thingy and it says "No Audio Output device is installed" and I'm like "but it's a laptop, it comes with the Audio Output device installed", I try to fix it with the common "update the driver and it'll fix!" technique, nope it did not work. I troubleshooted and it just told me to ask an expert or search the Internet, like it usually does.

How did this happen? I just don't get it.

https://i.imgur.com/npYqb.png
Here's what the Device Manager looked like, apart from all the /!\ marks, everything else was fine, I checked all other devices and they were ok.

Regards
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Nov 30, 2011 at 04:01 PM
Dear John,

Please watch out for any foul language or your posts will get deleted. Even kids seek help on this forum.

You have not mentioned what is your operating system.

You may have a virus but before we look at that possibility, you can do two things:

1. Restore your system to a previous date to when the problem occured.

2. Reinstalled your drivers and update them.

Regards