Inserting text

Closed
saltz - Jan 30, 2012 at 09:11 AM
TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 - Jan 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Hello,

I'm not tech savvy, so please bare with me. Using Excel, I want to have text inserted into one cell based on text in another cell. If I select the name of a company (from drop down menu I created) in first cell, I want the cell below to show the street address, then the cell below that to show the city, state & zip.

Or, better yet, is it possible to have multiple lines for a single drop down menu, so that the name and address of a company would appear when just selecting the company name from drop down list?

Thanks very much

1 response

TrowaD Posts 2921 Registration date Sunday September 12, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen December 27, 2022 552
Jan 31, 2012 at 10:18 AM
Hi Saltz,

Let me give you an example of how to do this.
Column A
Fruits
Vegetables

Column B
Apples
Bananas

Column C
Cucumber
Raddish

We will create two dropwdownlists (DDL) with this data.
When Fruits is selected from the first DDL the second DDL will give the option to select Apples and Bananas.
When Vegetables is selected, Cucumber and Raddish becomes available in second DDL.

1. Named ranges
Select Fruits and Vegetables and notice the white bar to the left of the formulabar. If your selected range is A1 and A2 then it will display A1. Click this field and enter the text "Main".
Repeat this for column B: "Fruits" and Column C: "Vegetables"
2. Creating DDL's
Select the cell you want to create the DDL (Let's say A10). Goto data validation, choose list and enter "=Main".
Select the cell you want to create the second DDL. Goto data validation, choose list and enter "=INDIRECT(A10)".

Best regards,
Trowa