How to remove write protected

Closed
xhin Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday February 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2013 - Feb 27, 2013 at 09:30 AM
 stephanic - May 10, 2014 at 05:04 AM
Hello,

my imation pendrive suddenly become write protected, I cant delete files nor transfer files. I cant use the format option as well. I had try on other PCs, win 7,win xp, it is write protected

my antivirus do scan there are virus in it, but it cant be deleted as it is write protected!

i been trying regedit,set 0 in write protect, format in safe mode with command prompt but it doesnt work!

it really drive me crazy, hope that you guys could help me. I dont mind lossing all the old files in it.
please provide me detail steps. tqvm
Related:

9 responses

Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Hi xhin,

Try the below mentioned steps and see if you are able to remove write protection:

1. Click "Start".
2. Click "Run".
3. Type "CMD" and hit Enter.
4. Type "Diskpart" and hit Enter, this will open another window.
5. In this new window type "List Disk" and hit Enter.
6. Make a note of the disk ### for your pen drive.
7. Type "Attribute disk clear readonly" and hit Enter.
8. Type "Select disk ###" (### is the number of the USB pen drive you've plugged in) and hit Enter.
9. Restart the computer and see if the pen drive works.

Do reply with results.
palash hossain
Mar 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Not working
Not Found Flash Drive
Zohaib R Posts 2368 Registration date Sunday September 23, 2012 Status Member Last seen December 13, 2018 69
Feb 27, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Hi xhin,

Some flash drives come with a physical write protect switch. There is possibility the switch may have been accidentally moved to the protect position. Try to change the switch and see if the problem fixes.

For more details please refer to the below mentioned link:

https://support.imation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/231/kw/write%20protect/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2MTk3NTczMS9zaWQvY3FPSnFWamw%3D

Do reply with results.
Feb 28, 2013 at 08:47 AM
Hi xhin,

Try the below mentioned steps and check if you are able to format the pen drive:

1. Shutdown your computer.
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your computer.
3. Power on the computer and then immediately start tapping (F8) key then "Advanced Boot Options" screen will come up.
4. Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
5. After booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then type:
G: and press enter
6. Then type:
format G: and press enter
7. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
8. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.

Do reply with results.
xhin Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday February 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2013
Feb 28, 2013 at 09:26 AM
i had tried yesterday...but it showed cant format because it is write protected....
it is not helping because it is saying that the volume do not contain supported files
Feb 28, 2013 at 05:55 AM
Hi xhin,

If there is no important data in your pen drive, I would recommend trying to format using the below mentioned steps:

1. Right click "My Computer" icon on the desktop.
2. Select "Manage".
3. Click "Disk Management" from the right pane.
4. Check in the bottom of the window that opens. The size of all the disk drives and their graphical representations must be listed.
5. Right click the pen the drive and select "Format".
6. See if you can format it here.

Do reply with results.
xhin Posts 5 Registration date Wednesday February 27, 2013 Status Member Last seen March 4, 2013
Feb 28, 2013 at 07:57 AM
cant, the format option is grey, I cant click it
Don't active format command
Use command
c:\.> chkdsk <your pendrive> (H:) /f /x press enter .

Didn't find the answer you are looking for?

Ask a question
James7bond Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday March 12, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 12, 2014
Mar 12, 2014 at 10:12 PM
I have the same problem with a USB drive. The virus inside in one of the files is what I believe has it locked up. I have tried ever method of un-write protecting it to format the drive. When I run my Virus scan the files infected come up as "Error in opening file" I'm Using Eset Smart Security 7. I downloaded a Pen Drive virus removal program that didn't work and I spent sever hours getting it back out of my system. The virus has lots of Chinese Symbols in the writing of the files. I had given up on this thing for a couple weeks now but am going to look into it some more ....Keep posting if anyone finds something
James7bond Posts 2 Registration date Wednesday March 12, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 12, 2014
Mar 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM
FYI. I had heard that a powerful magnet would erase data from a drive...I try this too...I didn't work either
Hi,
"Memory card is `write protected" error message will arrives when memory card is write protected. To make a memory card write protected or protect the data of a memory card from unwanted modification a button is given on the side of the memory card which make user able to protect their memory card data. To make your memory card accessible you have to use a memory card recovery tool. This tool is designed with very high programming and able to remove all types of error. This camera card recovery software is easily restores all types of content from your memory card. Download memory card repair tool and install it to solve all types of memory card issues.

www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/card-write-protected-error-message
Mar 1, 2013 at 07:33 AM
Hi xhin,

We have tried the prescribed methods to remove write protection from the pen driver however the issue seems to be other than Write Protection. As stated on Imation website: "If the write protect message displays on a flash drive without a physical switch, data on the device should be backed up elsewhere and the drive replaced. There are no tools to recover the write capability of the drive. If the drive is under warranty, contact Technical Support for assistance."

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.
Mar 1, 2013 at 08:03 AM
really no more other methods?? :'(
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Hi xhin,

I will try finding other methods, if I find one I will post it here. In the meantime if the drive is under warranty, contact Technical Support for assistance.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.
Mar 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
tqvm... wish to hear u soon...
the pendrive I brought last year, but the receipt is gone... :(
xhin me also facing the same problem but im unable to format with above options
think better to purchase the new one
silhouttejames Posts 27 Registration date Friday February 7, 2014 Status Member Last seen March 19, 2014 52
Mar 11, 2014 at 06:43 AM
From your USB what? USB is an interconnection standard, not a device.
It may be something like: my external USB hard drive - meaning my external HDD, connected by USB, or my USB memory stick, or lets say my USB connected TV tuner...
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/usb-write-protection.670905/