Try the below mentioned steps and see if you are able to remove write protection:
1. Click "Start".
2. Click "Run".
3. Type "CMD" and hit Enter.
4. Type "Diskpart" and hit Enter, this will open another window.
5. In this new window type "List Disk" and hit Enter.
6. Make a note of the disk ### for your pen drive.
7. Type "Attribute disk clear readonly" and hit Enter.
8. Type "Select disk ###" (### is the number of the USB pen drive you've plugged in) and hit Enter.
9. Restart the computer and see if the pen drive works.
Some flash drives come with a physical write protect switch. There is possibility the switch may have been accidentally moved to the protect position. Try to change the switch and see if the problem fixes.
For more details please refer to the below mentioned link:
Try the below mentioned steps and check if you are able to format the pen drive:
1. Shutdown your computer.
2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your computer.
3. Power on the computer and then immediately start tapping (F8) key then "Advanced Boot Options" screen will come up.
4. Select "Safe Mode with Command Prompt".
5. After booting to Safe Mode with Command Prompt, if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) for example then type:
G: and press enter
6. Then type:
format G: and press enter
7. If ask you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
8. Now a full format will start which remove write protection from USB Memory Stick.
If there is no important data in your pen drive, I would recommend trying to format using the below mentioned steps:
1. Right click "My Computer" icon on the desktop.
2. Select "Manage".
3. Click "Disk Management" from the right pane.
4. Check in the bottom of the window that opens. The size of all the disk drives and their graphical representations must be listed.
5. Right click the pen the drive and select "Format".
6. See if you can format it here.
I have the same problem with a USB drive. The virus inside in one of the files is what I believe has it locked up. I have tried ever method of un-write protecting it to format the drive. When I run my Virus scan the files infected come up as "Error in opening file" I'm Using Eset Smart Security 7. I downloaded a Pen Drive virus removal program that didn't work and I spent sever hours getting it back out of my system. The virus has lots of Chinese Symbols in the writing of the files. I had given up on this thing for a couple weeks now but am going to look into it some more ....Keep posting if anyone finds something
"Memory card is `write protected" error message will arrives when memory card is write protected. To make a memory card write protected or protect the data of a memory card from unwanted modification a button is given on the side of the memory card which make user able to protect their memory card data. To make your memory card accessible you have to use a memory card recovery tool. This tool is designed with very high programming and able to remove all types of error. This camera card recovery software is easily restores all types of content from your memory card. Download memory card repair tool and install it to solve all types of memory card issues.
We have tried the prescribed methods to remove write protection from the pen driver however the issue seems to be other than Write Protection. As stated on Imation website: "If the write protect message displays on a flash drive without a physical switch, data on the device should be backed up elsewhere and the drive replaced. There are no tools to recover the write capability of the drive. If the drive is under warranty, contact Technical Support for assistance."