Connecting 2 laptops with LAN cable

Closed
Sri - Feb 24, 2009 at 03:02 PM
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 - Feb 24, 2009 at 07:52 PM
Hello,
I have a Hp Laptop with windows XP as the OS and an Acer laptop with Windows Vista as the OS.

The problem with the Hp laptop is that it doesnot load into windows ( it loads till prompting for a password but doesnot load windows - it accepts the password and a message says that its loading my personal settings and then it logs off). I wanted to restore windows but dont want to loose some data that is very important to me. I have performed the harddrive test from bios settings and it had passed both the quick and compressive test.so the hard drive is working fine.

What i would like to know is : if i can connect the Hp laptop with windows XP to a Acer laptop with windows Vista with a LAN cable and transfer the data that i require from my Hp laptop ? If i can how do i go about doing so.

Thanks
Related:

2 responses

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 24, 2009 at 04:32 PM
If you can't get the laptop to boot then you can't connect them with a cable.

You can remove the hard drive form the broken laptop and buy a USB adapter that will allow you to connect the hard drive to the working computer. There are two types of adapters. One is a simple cable that you use for a temporary connection and one that converts the drive to a portable external drive. Good Luck
Hi ,

My laptop is able to boot but is not loging to my account or the admin account , the windows is running in the background, so is the hard drive is recieving power.

in this case i think i can connect with a lan cable and extract the data from my laptop to another , but dont know how to do so. Any suggestions?
xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Feb 24, 2009 at 07:52 PM
You can connect the two computers with a "crossover" cable (not a regular LAN cable). But, unless you have "shared" the entire C drive you will not have much luck in accessing the data.