Driver Restore

Closed
Stace123 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday July 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen July 25, 2015 - Jul 25, 2015 at 04:52 AM
Stace123 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday July 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen July 25, 2015 - Jul 25, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Hello,
I have somehow acquired a program called driver restore. I found it in the programs list and uninstalled but even though it is now removed from my programs list it is still there and wants to run a driver update check a few times a day, and of course wanting me to upgrade to the paid version.

I assume that it has attached itself somehow to some other program and I cant find it. Any help to remove it I'd appreciate it as it is a real pain.

Cheers
Related:

1 response

xpcman Posts 19530 Registration date Wednesday October 8, 2008 Status Contributor Last seen June 15, 2019 1,826
Jul 25, 2015 at 03:36 PM
How to remove Driver Restore from my computer?

We strongly recommend removing this useless program before any further damage is done. Don't waste your money for nothing and don't buy such dubious programs that can barely give anything useful in return. Follow these simple guidelines and eliminate Driver Restore from your computer.

Check your My Documents (user) folder and try to find Driver Restore folder there (it may hide in Downloads folder) and eliminate it from there.
Remove Driver Restore from your computer:

1. Click Start ? Control Panel ? Uninstall a Program.
2. When in the Add/Remove Programs/Uninstall a Program, look for recently installed/unfamiliar applications, such as Driver Restore or similar unfamiliar entries.
3. Click 'Uninstall' and then OK to save the changes.

Remove Driver Restore extension from your browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome):

Internet Explorer:

1. Open Internet Explorer, go `Tools` ? `Manage Add-ons' ? `Toolbars and Extensions'.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar entries, such as Driver Restore and click 'uninstall'.
3. Once you remove it, change your start page.

Reset your Internet Explorer (Optional):
1. Open Internet Explorer, click the Gear icon or `Tools` ? 'Internet Options'.
2. Here, go to the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Reset' button.
3. Go to the 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' ? 'Delete personal settings' and click on 'Reset' option.
4. Finally, click 'Close' and OK to save the changes.

Mozilla Firefox:

1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go `Tools' ? `Add-ons' ? `Extensions'.
2. Find suspicious-looking entries, such as Driver Restore and click `Uninstall'.
3. After that, change the start page.

Reset your Mozilla Firefox (Optional)
1. Open Mozilla Firefox, go to the 'Help' section ? 'Troubleshooting Information'.
2. Here, choose a 'Reset Firefox' for a couple of times and 'Finish'.

Google Chrome:

1. Click the Chrome menu button on the Google Chrome browser, select Tools ? Extensions.
2. Here, look for unfamiliar extensions like Driver Restore and get rid of them by clicking on the Recycle Bin.
3. Don't forget to change start page.

Scan your computer with a reliable anti-spyware program. We recommend using SpyHunter, STOPzilla or Malwarebytes Anti Malware.
Stace123 Posts 3 Registration date Saturday July 25, 2015 Status Member Last seen July 25, 2015
Jul 25, 2015 at 08:59 PM
Thanks for that info.... I had previously done all of what you had suggested. I know that it attached itself when I downloaded Google Chrome as it appeared coincidently after that download. It was not in the extensions file, nor in the add ons in internet explorer.

However your reply gave me a bit more confidence to really search for the program embedded in the files. I had uninstalled it from the program menu thinking that would be the end of it but it still showed its ugly head even though the files said it was uninstalled.

Long story short, I just found it in the Windows file then under programs there.... have deleted it from there so fingers crossed that will be the end of it :) cheers