Factory reinstall

Closed
Bernice143 Posts 1 Registration date Saturday March 5, 2016 Status Member Last seen March 5, 2016 - Mar 5, 2016 at 03:18 PM
Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 - Mar 5, 2016 at 05:21 PM
Hello,

My sons laptop is a gateway, running windows 7. It has so many pop ups that it's impossible to log into email.
So, last night we moved all files to an external drive. After 12 hours we were able to begin the process to restore back to the factory settings.
Toward the end of that process, the screen went black & a white Install Window error box popped up reading, "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."
Each time I click ok, the screen comes back black & the same error box & message pops up.
I have tried to remove battery, unplug & hold power key for 15 sec, to hard restart...that was unsuccessful.
I have tried to set default settings in the utility manager, that was unsuccessfully.
I have tried to run in security mode & that was unsuccessful.
I have no idea what else to try & I'm not able to find the factory CD'so that came with the purchase of this pc.
What can I do to finish the window reinstall?
Please advise.
Related:

1 response

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,168
Mar 5, 2016 at 05:21 PM
Hello Bernice,

Sorry to say but in your case factory restore was not the best choice.

I am pretty sure that the laptop is still suffering from a extremely bad virus infection. The recovery image or partition was no doubt corrupted, hence the issue you are experiencing at the moment.

You must also ensure that the files you transferred to external drive are virus free.

Reinstalling Windows is the only cure that I can think of.

Good luck

Ambucias
Moderator, Virus/Security Contributor