CD Drive wont read disc

Closed
Jordan - May 18, 2016 at 07:28 PM
KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   - May 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM
Hi,
I have an old windows XP computer that wont read newer discs. I have a laptop but I use the big computer to play an older game. I bought the new version of the game (Sims 3 vs the Sims 2 I had before) and while it still reads the older Sims 2 discs, it tells me that there's no disc when I put in the Sims 3 one.
I should add that the computer hasn't been connected to the internet in years, and so I tried plugging it into the internet and updating it, but either the updates are so backlogged that they haven't caught up yet or I'm doing something wrong, but I still can't get it to read.
I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the cd drive from the hardware, but that didn't work either. I'm guessing the cd drive just isn't high-tech enough to read a newer disc, but I'm not sure.
Thank you!
Related:

1 response

KY_WD Posts 2053 Registration date Thursday October 23, 2014 Status Member Last seen February 28, 2017   122
May 19, 2016 at 10:58 AM
Hello Jordan,

I know might sound like an obvious question but, are you sure that the CD is able to read discs? I'm asking this because if you have a CD ROM that only reads CDs and you try to load the game from a DVD disk it's not going to happen. It's not about the high-tech, it's just a different tech. ;)
My suggestion is to try to save the games on a CD and then try to read that CD in your CD ROM.
At a hardware level, you can open your PC and check if there's any cable issue. If you have more than one SATA or IDE port, swap the cables into that slot to see if the CD device would get recognized there.

Cheers.