There's nothing more annoying than being harassed by calls or messages from private (hidden) numbers. Or maybe you're even the unfortunate recipient of constant cold calls or SMS-spam. If so, you can block these numbers on your smartphone by either adjusting the settings on your device or by using certain apps. We’ve got all you need to know in this article.
Block calls manually
- On Samsung Phones, you’ll find the blocking options in Phone > Settings > Block Numbers
- If you’d like to block calls from people that are not in your list of contacts, you can simply slide and select the option Block Unknown Caller.
- If you only want to block a specific phone number, enter the desired number under Add Phone Number in the Enter Phone Number field of this section.
- Blackberry users should open the Phone App and using your finger, swipe from top to bottom.
- Then select Settings > Call blocking. If this is your first time using the Call blocking option, you will have to create a password to grant access to this feature.
- For Nokia phone users go to Menu > Control Panel > Settings and then Phone > Call Blocking.
- To block unknown callers on an iPhone go to Settings > Phone then scroll down til you see the option Silence Unknown Callers and toggle the switch to on. All future calls from unknown numbers will be silenced and go straight to voicemail, but you will also see them in your call list.
- To block specific callers on an iPhone, open the Phone app and click on Recents. Scroll to the caller you would like to block, tap on the small ⓘ symbol located beside the number and then scroll to Block This Caller.
- On Android phones you can usually add contacts to a blocked list via settings. The steps may vary slightly from one manufacturer to another. However, in general, you should be able to access this setting from the Phone app.
Open the Phone app, and tap More
> Call Settings
> Call Rejection
Next, tap Auto reject list
Now, toggle the Unknown
If your Android smartphone does not include an option to block unknown numbers, you can also download and install call blocking apps from the list below.
Apps to block calls and SMS
Apps for Android Smartphones
These apps for Android devices block calls and SMS
from undesired numbers.
Call Blocker Free - Blacklist
Stop Call Me
Hiya - Call Blocker, Fraud Detection & Caller ID
Blacklistcall - Block numbers
Block Text, SMS, Spam Blocker - Key Messages
Block numbers on iPhone
Call Blocker: Block Spam Calls
Hiya: Spam Phone Call Blocker
Apps for Blackberry Devices
FREE Call Blocker
Apps for Symbian Phones
Block a Number From a Spectrum Account
To get started, go to the Spectrum
website, log in with your account details, and find My Services
. Next, click Manage Phone Features
. Find Block Unwanted Callers
, and activate it by turning it On
. In the field that displays, enter the phone numbers that you want to block, and click Add to Block Unwanted Callers List
Image: © Roman Samborskyi - 123RF.com
This document, titled « Block Unwanted Calls and Text Messages on Your Phone. », is available under the Creative Commons
license. Any copy, reuse, or modification of the content should be sufficiently credited to CCM