Designing Networks Architecture

Closed
Age_of_Aquarius Posts 10 Registration date Sunday March 1, 2009 Status Member Last seen December 12, 2017 - Updated on Dec 12, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Sertx Posts 1 Registration date Friday March 2, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 2, 2018 - Mar 2, 2018 at 04:52 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for some documentation or books that explain how to design networks from scratch, especially for medium and large companies. I read few books about OSI layers, security, switching, routing, LAN, WAN, etc. but none of them talk about designing infrastructure physically and logically.

Are there any methodology or a step by step approach to do it? Something like, for example, the methodologies used to create the conceptual, the logical and the physical schemas or diagrams for database design? A methodology used from client’s needs to implementation?

How to estimate the cost of the project? How to choose different hosts (switch, routing, cables, etc.)? Are there any design patterns for LAN, DMZ, Data Centers, VoIP, Proxies, VPN, etc. and for security issues?

Thanks.

3 responses

Blocked Profile
Dec 12, 2017 at 05:05 PM
OK, well these things do not come in a book! Are you familiar with the different topology that can be made? Every network has its own design. Do you care about redundancy? Do you care about access if a segment goes down? Where is the DC going to be located? Is it co-located with the mail server?
Please understand, you are asking elementary questions to a very complex technology, and no single book or resource (except me maybe!!!) can possibly give you the answers to what you are asking. It takes years of experience to design and deploy a network and its associated services, and you have to just do it!

Please understand, Database design has nothing to do with network topologies! These are two different things!

To estimate your project cost, you add up all of the hardware cost, to include wiring and ACCESS POINTS, plus add in your labor! VIOLA, you are now a Project Manager!

Ambucias Posts 47356 Registration date Monday February 1, 2010 Status Moderator Last seen February 15, 2023 11,171
Dec 12, 2017 at 05:12 PM
Sir Mark,

Allow me to say, you are amazing and inspiring. Your science and wisdom can't be compared.

Thank you Sir

Take a look at the above diagram. If I had users in office "7", what would be the route to the internet if Office 5 was offline, and network segment H was down?

These are the different situation you must envision in your design. So, typically, you end up with a hybrid of PTP and STAR topology networks! Can you see the redundancy in the above diagram?

It's kind of fun to do the impossible! -Walter Elias Disney
Blocked Profile
Dec 13, 2017 at 04:17 PM
Any takers on this?
Sertx Posts 1 Registration date Friday March 2, 2018 Status Member Last seen March 2, 2018
Updated on Mar 2, 2018 at 04:55 AM
I recommend you "Principios de Arquitectura de la Información". (I don´t know if it is avalaible in english).
Nevertheless, as Mark have said, the best way to learn is to try things by your own. If you want any help with your proyect yo can contact a professional team to ensure your website security and build a coherent architecture: