Can't open .dat files stored on WD w/ Vista

Closed
PC Challenged - Jun 5, 2009 at 09:56 AM
kontas Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday March 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2009 - Jun 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Hello,

My Dell with Windows XP was dying. Bought Western Digital external hard drive. Followed instructions going to administrative tools, files & settings - transfer files wizard to transfer to hard drive. So far so good.

Now I connect to my new computer - Dell with Windows Vista. I can see the drive. I can see the data icons but cannot figure out for the life of me how to open and save to new computer. I'm sick as there is a lot of work in my documents folder.

Any suggestions? Please note: I need step by step instructions and do not assume I understand any computer terms, etc. HELP!
Related:

1 response

kontas Posts 3 Registration date Tuesday March 31, 2009 Status Member Last seen June 5, 2009
Jun 5, 2009 at 12:42 PM
hi,
a .DAT file indicates a file that has arbitrary data. That means it is not associated with any particular program or application to open it.
try to change the file format of the .DAT file.
go to My Computer > folder options > View
uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types",
click apply and then ok.
then rename the file's extension.
if when you created the backup you put the files in a folder, rename the exetnsion as File Folder.