imzadi - Feb 4, 2009 at 02:08 PM
 macboy - Jul 2, 2010 at 03:19 PM
Hi,

I have been having a problem with the malware that

blocks system restore
prevents security and microsoft updates
blocks access to security websites
redirects google search
does not allow the installation of any new security software (such as Trojan Remover Malwarebytes) even from the safe mode

I am a paying customer of McAfee - - for the last time! They have been completely uncooperative in resolving this issue that their service should have prevented.

I am thinking if I can download the most current updates (DAT files) on my laptop and manually install them on my desktop so then a resulting scan should be able to find and remove the problem. Does that sound too logical?

So is there anyone that can help me with a step-by-step on how to manually install the McAfee updates (DATs)? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Related:

2 responses

panamabreak Posts 10 Registration date Sunday August 31, 2008 Status Member Last seen February 23, 2009 25
Feb 4, 2009 at 03:55 PM
hi,

You need to know where the Engine folder is.
it's the folder where you will find
the DAT files such as SCAN.DAT.

then you should disable the Mcafee scanner,
Download the ZIP file,
Then extract the DAT files to the Engine folder and then re-enable the McAfee scanner.
Thanks for your reply! I have located the engine folder -- McAfee\VirusScan\Engine

The DAT folder is in the same VirusScan folder as the Engine folder - - McAfee\VirusScan\DAT\ ###DAT

I am able to click on the properties of the DAT itself and see the date the DAT was last updated - - around the time my not so DH admits opening a birthday e-greeting he believed came from his mother. Duh!

So, just to be clear, do I put the new DAT files in the DAT folder itself or in the Engine folder?

Do I have to delete the old DAT files currently contained in the DAT folder or does that resolve itself when I re-enable the McAfee scanner?

Again, many thanks@
hormoz > imzadi
Jul 26, 2009 at 12:01 AM
hi ineed update mcafee